Trumpet Discussion Discuss What Is A Vintage Trumpet???! in the General forums; Hi i need help. i was wondering if i should buy a vintage trumpet or not for about 350. its ...
    New Friend

What Is A Vintage Trumpet???!

Hi i need help. i was wondering if i should buy a vintage trumpet or not for about 350. its a 1960s H.N. White King Liberty Trumpet

Sunny Ca.

Re: What Is A Vintage Trumpet???!

I would say for that much you could get an Olds special or super which in my opinion would be an easier/better player for you.
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

As the owner/player of several Olds trumpets/cornets,such as L.A. made Ambassador,Special,Super,Studio and some Fullerton horns, along with four King Liberty and Silvertone trumpets, I cant agree with 'some of' your advice. An early,( L.A. made ) Super 'might' be a better horn, as well as the Studio of that same era, BUT, the 1960's Liberty's were pretty darn fine and had a brilliance of tone that I have found nearly impossible to equal. As our mutual friend Scooter1 will attest, I am a fan of bright sounding trumpets and dark sounding cornets. Like Scooter1 I also have a collection of Olds and H.N.White horns and enjoy them all.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Pianissimo User

Try before you buy as with any horn purchase. A 1960's vintage King Liberty #2B would be a very nice all around horn. I have a couple of older Kings: c.1935 Liberty #2, c.1963 King Super 20 Symphony SilverSonic; And two nice Olds: c.1953 Studio Cornet, c.1953 Super. All four play very differently from each other. It really depends on your sound concept and what you are trying to achieve. I personally appreciate the build quality, affordable (all four together cost less than $1500) and they are all pro horns. I use them in concert band jazz band and for solo and small combo. If I had to recommend one of the Liberty's it would be the 2B. It's an outstanding lead horn, very flexible and solid sounding instrument. For small combo I like to use the Liberty #2, in concert band I'll use the Olds Super or Studio Cornet and I use the Super 20 Symphony for concert band or jazz band.

WARNING! Once you start on this path it's hard if not impossible to stop.

New Friend

Yeah I agree when you play a horn or try out a horn it is to see what best suits you. Whatever it is that makes you comfortable playing go with that dont buy a horn just because someone you know owns one or a celebrity plays on one. It all comes down to you and you alone whatever it is that you're looking for whether its lead playing in a big band, solo literature, orchestral playing or maybe mariachi playing you alone can decide. Its a hard process to find that perfect horn but eventually you will and it'll all come down hill from there. Unless you dont take care of it then thats a different story.

Thread Information