Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What is Your Warm-up Routine? in the General forums; I've got a pretty bad habbit of not taking warm-up time seriously. I run through some long tones, scales, lip ...
    New Friend

What is Your Warm-up Routine?

I've got a pretty bad habbit of not taking warm-up time seriously. I run through some long tones, scales, lip slurs, a chorale, and I'm done. Totals up to 8min or so. Just curious to know what a proper warm up is, mostly because everybody I know blows them off as well.

A proper warm-up is anything that you need to do to make yourself ready to play. People have different ideas on what one should do to warm-up, but the only person who can determine weather or not you are ready to play is YOU!

I do believe that trumpet players need to have a practice routine. Playing a routine that covers all aspects of trumpet playing each and every day will help one create a more dependable result.

I do my routine, which includes warming up, and that will last an hour. When I'm at a gig, I don't do the routine. I just warm up, and this only takes 3-5 minutes. I usually start by playing something soft, usually a slowly expanding scales starting on a G in the staff. Once I feel comfortable with the responce I'm getting and with my sound, I'll expand further to top and bottom of my COMFORTABLE range, always keeping the quality of sound my #1 priority. Lastly, I get the tounge moving, keeping the sound the same, as if I were blowing a long tone. (Does that make sense?) Next, IT'S GIG TIME!

Again, warming up is very important. Do what you need to do in order to play whatever it is you are going to play. You have to be the judge, don't put a time limit on what you do, just don't "over-do" your warm-up or you'll run out of gas during the first tune!

Hope this helps. I'm sleepy...good night!

Mezzo Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by BflatAnklan
    A proper warm-up is anything that you need to do to make yourself ready to play. People have different ideas on what one should do to warm-up, but the only person who can determine weather or not you are ready to play is YOU!
    This pretty much sums up the perfect warm-up. Great post Matt.

I do some scale stuff and a few long tones and I'm ready to go.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Piano User
    i have 2 that i use a bunch, 1 that i use a little, & 1 that
    i experiment with

one i made up is (in all keys) 1-3-5-4-3-2-1, then whichever clarkes i want

another is the chichowicz 5-4-5-6-5-3-1 in all keys, then some clarkes

third is an alternation of some arban half note studies that have ever expanding intervals followed by arppegios

i do some scales each time

recently, i just pick up the horn & play some vizzutti intermediate melody studies...that seems to work, too.

dj

Forte User
    I find I need a bit more, but soome days not so much, andd it's difficult for me to tell where my warm-up ends and my practicing begins.

Usually, I begin with breathing; lately I've been doing some lung capacity things and working on quick, full, and relaxed breaths. Usually just a couple minutes there.

Then, I'll do some work on the BERP, with a reference pitch sounding back at me, again, lately I've been adding vibrato and quoting melodies, as well. This helps me concentrate on intonation, what the relationship between sound and fingers is, control of my vibrato, and musical concept.

If I feel response is going to be an issue that day (I can tell by how the buzzing sounds and feels), then I might do some whisper tones or breath attacks, beginning at 2nd line G.

If I feel or hear that my sound lacks focus or resonance, I'll do some work on the leaddpipe buzzing, listening for an octave and fifth above the pitch I'm buzzing (Thanks, Derek!)

Then, some flow studies, with mental imagry for each example. I have about 3 that I alternate. Again, I am working on musical concept, so I try to phrase these as musically as possible. At some point, I also began to try to imagine a great tenor or mezzo-soprano. (Thanks, Manny!)

Move into Schlossberg for long tones. I used to use the metronome, but have now changed that to an external pitch reference (Dr. Beat DB88 tuner function is great!) and try to tune intervals and play musically against those intervals (4-3 suspensiions on number 4, for example; lean into the suspension andd pull back the resolution, or Major to Minor thirds...I try to imagine the end of Mahler 2nd movment 1 with NY...Vince Penzarella's amazing!). Then lip flexibilities. I have discovered that the studies in Arban are far more difficult than Colin...so I'm doing them now, instead. Then scales and intervals, either from Arban, Schlossberg or Clarke. Or any combination. When does my practice begin? Probably the instant I sit down or just before. That whole thing above takes about an hour, including time for resting (an important component in endurance building).
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: What is Your Warm-up Routine?

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoNut16v
    I've got a pretty bad habbit of not taking warm-up time seriously. I run through some long tones, scales, lip slurs, a chorale, and I'm done. Totals up to 8min or so. Just curious to know what a proper warm up is, mostly because everybody I know blows them off as well.
    I warm-up with a few long tones, a couple two octave scales and some Krauss things for a few minutes.
    This is my minimum walk on stage or sit down in studio warm-up. If I have time I might play more.

At a few auditions I attended I witnessed some players get so warmed up they had no chops left to play the audition I learned from those experiences.
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Forte User
    I have a basic diet of trumpet stuff that I try to touch on everyday. It is a good thermometer to see where everything stands. When things are a bit stiff - more flexibilities; puffy attack - some tonguing/response exercises; buzz not quite as smooth as I want - flow studies or Stamp.......etc. It also depends on what I did the day before and what lies ahead. When I do have time for my routine, I make sure to cover a wide range on the horn - for me that is "G" above "high" C down to the pedals <------ with a controlled embouchure. I also make sure to get my response happening as soon as possible. That can be done with anything...like tonguing patterns on scales or Clarke.

If I have very little time for a warm-up, I like to do a couple of flows and then immediately some flexibilities. Flexibilities usually get the blood flowing the quickest for me. I forgot to add that I do always play a little something on the mouthpiece before sticking it in the trumpet. Nothing complicated, but something.

mine can very i typically do one of three

thompson buzzing 1-4 and 9 then bai lin
    stamp
    the warm up in the vizzutti book followed by flexability in the book etc.

most important part is to concentrate on warm open free sound

i also try to hit the basics, but i do "key for the day" do the clarke, scales arppeggios all in the same key then keep moving around the circle of 5th (ex yesterday Bb Major today G minor, Tommorow Eb major etc) and tongueing
    Per aspera ad astra

Piano User
    A good warm up routine that I use is to play lower notes consisting of chromatic and penatonic scales for a couple of minutes. Then I work up to higher notes when my lip is ready. My warm up takes me no more than 5 minutes. When I have my deep dark sound in the low regesters and then my open sound in the high regesters, then I'm ready.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

New Friend
    I start off with some soft long tones on middle g and work my way down to low F# at about 70 bpm. Then I do some low, simple lip slurs soft also.

I concentrate on getting keyed on that great sound and moving the air nice and energized.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information