Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What are your warm-ups? in the General forums; What do you do when warming up for the first session of the day, and then what does your warm ...
    New Friend

Lightbulb What are your warm-ups?

What do you do when warming up for the first session of the day, and then what does your warm up consist of during your second or even third practice sessions?

Heart of Dixie

Re: What are your warm-ups?

I play a 3 or 4 scales and a few low notes to loosen up. Anything more is counterproductive for me.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

I play low long tones Low C down to pedal C) until my chops feel right, then transition into slow slurs across low partials. After that usually a break before doing Clarke #1, #2, #3 (usually incorporating tonguing variations... just K tongue, or DT each note, Triple tongue, etc.) That'll kill the 1st two-three sessions of the day. For the other sessions during the day I will do an Irons flexibility study or a scale to get the buzz going, but it is very brief... then right into whatever I am working on that session.
    coolerdave likes this.

Piano User
    Milwaukee, WI

I buzz the mouthpiece for a few minutes and then go to Chicowicz long tones. I run through my entire range, doing the first three transpositions, sometimes more. (About twice a month I'll do something different, like the Stamp/Hood routine) Then it's a quick couple of double or triple tonguing exercises off the top of my head and I'm done. Whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops. Then I rest for at least 20 to 30 minutes before playing more. If I'm not off to a gig or to teach, I'll then run though flexibility, scales, Clarke, articulation, and whatever else in a couple more 15-30 minute sessions. After that it's whatever needs work-improv, piccolo trumpet, or arranging more tunes for my band. If it's a slow time of year, I'll work on etudes, solos, and excerpts.
    Last edited by Lawler Bb; 01-31-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Eric Sperry
    2015 Bach LT1901B
    1967 Bach 37
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo
    1980s Callet New York Flugel
    1960s Olds Ambassador Cornet

For me, sometimes I think that "warm-up routines" and "maintenance routines" can overlap somewhat.

My warm-up is what I do to get things going. My maintenance routine is something I do to touch on some key elements before I go on to other parts of my daily practice.

My warm up is a variation of the mouthpiece warm-up, which is in the front of the Schlossberg book. I do it with the trumpet, not with the mouthpiece. It takes a couple minutes.

My maintenance routine takes about 20 minutes consisting of mouthpiece buzzing (usually arpeggios), long tones (either arpeggios or something similar to Schlossberg #6), and slurs and tonging (often based on variations of Clarke #1 or #2).

For warm-ups later in the day, I usually just repeat the Schlossberg mouthpiece warm-up (again, on the trumpet, not with the mouthpiece).

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

I enjoy an abridged version of Stamp warmups. The whole shebang maybe once or twice a week, more as therapy than warmup. It's sometimes hard to discern where warmup ends and practice begins, but after about 10 minutes of just about anything easy and gentle, I'm ready to rock.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I like the Heimatton concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimatton (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal."

Some players start their warm-ups on c below the staff, then work their way upwards, but that makes any thing above c below the staff a more or less a high note. Rather than starting in the lower register, consider starting at your personal Heimatton and expanding from there. That gives us the feeling of having more low tones to relax for, and fewer high ones to struggle for.

Hard to diagnose things over the internet, so the best we can do is make suggestions for you to experiment with.

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Piano User

I open the case, wiggle the valves, empty the water key, and take a breath. Done!
    Dupac, stumac, TrumpetMD and 1 others like this.
    Duane Massey
    French Besson trumpet
    Lawler Flugehorn
    Piece of crap alto horn

I do Walter Moeck's trumpet warm-up. If I have to play later, I just do the first of the 6 exercises and it's sufficient.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Down Under

Personally, I'm pretty inspired by this video., J. Jericho and Kendall like this.
    "We shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;
    for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible."

Bach Artisan Bb Trumpet - AB190S
    Denis Wick Standard Series - 1.5C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information