Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss what's a trumpet supposed to sound like? in the General forums; after listening to some recent recordings i wonder if the trumpet has become the new flugel horn? how dark and ...
    Piano User

what's a trumpet supposed to sound like?

after listening to some recent recordings i wonder if the trumpet has become the new flugel horn?
    how dark and round and thick can you go and still claim to be a trumpet?
    if all the trumpet players want to sound like cornets, why are they playing trumpets?
    what is the difference between the various instruments if not the sound?
    if your trumpet sounds like a flugel and your cornet sounds like a trumpet
    what's going on here?
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Forte User

Re: what's a trumpet supposed to sound like?

Now that is a very interesting question james. I sometimes wonder that myself. I think this trend came in part because of Mr. Monette. His horns became HUGE in the early 90s on and I think we have seen alot of makers copy this trend. Heavy Valve Caps, Heavy Walls, Rounded Tuning Slides etc etc etc. With this came a trend to have "darker" trumpet sounds.

TM

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrmphilly
    after listening to some recent recordings i wonder if the trumpet has become the new flugel horn?
    if all the trumpet players want to sound like cornets, why are they playing trumpets?
    what's going on here?

Forte User

Re: what's a trumpet supposed to sound like?

what's going on here?
    The sound is for sure a sign of the times. The ancient historian Josephus described the trumpet sound of those times (Roman) as a "terrible sound, like the sound of a braeing (spelling) ass." Maybe some jazzers still do this but times and sounds have for sure changed.

Maybe the new trumpets will be getting back to the ancient sounds just for a change. Any makers out there want to try this to see if your sales will increase?

Liad Bar-EL

Piano User
    i to have been under the monette spell but recently I've awakened to the idea that a trumpet should sound like a trumpet and a cornet should sound like a cornet and a flugel horn should sound like a flugel horn.
    the horn and mouthpiece makers are capable of giving you an instrument that will sound like anything you want so maybe it's time that we pick some standards for what's what?

Forte User
    i to have been under the monette spell but recently I've awakened to the idea that a trumpet should sound like a trumpet and a cornet should sound like a cornet and a flugel horn should sound like a flugel horn.
    the horn and mouthpiece makers are capable of giving you an instrument that will sound like anything you want so maybe it's time that we pick some standards for what's what?
    I remember getting into this quite heavily about two years ago on TPIN and really raised the ire of the monette owners at that time. I don’t care to really get back into it here for the same reason; so, I’ll just say this. The trumpet is a tool that should help obtain the sound that best fits your concept of sound that you desire as a trumpet player, as a person, and as an artist wanting to express himself to the best of his ability. If you prefer the Cornet sound, good for you. If you prefer the trumpet sound, also good for you. But if you prefer the oboe sound…………well, we’ll save this for another thread or even another forum. ;D

In terms of setting a standard, I agree with you that if an instrument sounds like a cornet it should be called a cornet and the reverse regarding trumpets applies as well; however, if you get into hybrids, what shall we do? You know something like the Flumpet (spelling).

Personally, if you bought an Eclipse, there should not be any mistake as to what it is and you can pick the mouthpiece(s) of your choice to fit the music (sound) of your choice as well, IMO.

Liad Bar-EL

Piano User
    "terrible sound, like the sound of a braeing ass."

sounds like a really bad intonation problem to me. :)

Forte User
    WHAT?!?

No "M" horns on that list????

How dare you!

tsk tsk...............

M.

Mezzo Piano User

Still no "M" horns....

Mr. Vacchiano

Lou Soloff

David Bilger

Byron Stripling

Gary Grant

Robert Sullivan

Warren Luening

Earl Gardner

Chris Gekker

Joe Wilder

Mark Gould

Joe Shepley

.....Bach's, Yamaha's... a Schilke once in a while...Rick Baptist, Faddis, Joe Mosello...

Ernie Royal

Bernie Glow.....Bach sound...Earl, Lou Soloff...

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    I read ya mikey :wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information