Trumpet Discussion Discuss Whats up with this? in the General forums; Now you can consider this a little rant from me to rid myself of anger and frustration but...anyways, I have ...

Whats up with this?

Now you can consider this a little rant from me to rid myself of anger and frustration but...anyways, I have just received the list for the symphonic (highest level band in high school) and I have been accepted for third chair. Now my problem is the first chair player is a senior who cannot play to save his life. The fact that he is a senior and a failure at the trumpet got him first just because he has failed at auditions every time. Last time around they throw him in at first. And then, the second chair is just idiotic. He just got of the hospital and just played his audition music for the first time and craped it out. I on the other hand spent hours upon hours for weeks preparing and received third. I hate school band >>
    Bach Stradivarius Bb 37
    Bach TR300 Bb
    King 602 Bb

charlotte nc

Re: Whats up with this?

I can't say that I blame you for what you are feeling. However, it should not get in the way of you working towards being the best you can be - regardless of what chair you sit. Perhaps there "is" some political stuff going on to appoint chairs. Just know you will be out of that situation eventually. Keep working - stay positive. Your good attitude and work ethic will win out in the end. Others do and will notice.

Be upset now for what happened. That's fine. Just be done with that soon and move on with what is more important. No grudges.
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Just remember that it IS high school, and things will probably not go your way if you are younger than the other section players.
    I am sure they would be just as frustrated if you got 1st chair and they didn't because you are younger than them.

New York, NY, USA

I will say this until my grave... in regards to politics, business and other lifelong difficulties:

"The Music is the easy part"

roll with it and change the things that you CAN change… yourself and your personal view of the world.

(and who says you can't learn anything in high school?)
    “This art is acquired only by laborious studies, for the rebellious nature of the instrument demands a great aptitude coupled with a persevering willingness to become a master of it.” – F.G.A. Dauverné (1857)

Metro Detroit

This is something that I'm sure eveyone here has had to deal with at one time or another.

Do you self a favor and "Let it go"

Here's how I handled a similar situation not all that long ago. I felt I was better then my chair placement and better then some of those who sat to my right.

Rather then focus on that I focused on the music. As a section player; rather then a lead you tend to see very different music; but not less important.

My current conductor says that a good chord is built from the bottom up. As a third that makes me damn important!

Work to master the music; let your musicianship and not your ego speak for you on this subject.

It will take you much further down the road in later years.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Pianissimo User
    South England

BlazingAsian, I can really sympathise with your situation: there's not much more that I can say than to "stick with it!" Your time will come and you will lead the section, with greater experience, and an even better relationship with those currently on the chairs below you! So shortly, I know it's annoying for you now, but as Kinghornplayer aptly says, focus your anger on the music, and make sure that you get everything in your power right. Your leader or conductor will recognise your efforts and apprectiate them, and you will profit from his respect when the time comes for you to be in control.

Patience is a virtue...

Haydn wrote a Trumpet Concerto?

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Who ever said anything about first chair being better than second, or third, or whatever? We play the part, not the chair, and there is a ton of joy to be had playing any part. As a section player, I approach the ensemble with the attitude that I want to make the first player sound better on his/her/its part than I could sound on that part with him/her/it playing below me, even when he/she/it creates musical terrorism on a regular basis.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Great answer Jerry!

There is a lot of wisdom there.

Also, waaaaaay back in high school, the band director, who was a Motown musician came to me and asked my opinion about a similar situation.

I was the first chair player, but there was a senior who had been a faithful band student who played a pretty good audition. There was also an 11th grader who was a better player, and took private lessons and played better than the senior did.

I advised the teacher that the 11th grader would have another year to have the trumpet section to himself and to give the senior the chair next to me.

The teacher agreed, he was leaning that way anyway.

Everything worked out well. The teacher was aware that the younger student was better. I spoke with the younger student and he had no problem, he knew his time would come. In fact he told me, "Chuck, with you being first chair I won't get any solos anyway. I can wait 'till next year." He ended up being an excellent section player in Detroit.

Last edited by Solar Bell; 01-10-2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

New Friend

You can learn more playing third. Listen to the harmonies and the chord changes. You will be a better lead player if you have a solid understanding of the other parts.

Also, you will generally be able to contribute more to the improvement of the overall sound from third. Bringing out the harmonies by playing a solid third part will flesh out the sound of the band. Don't let your ego get in the way.

Funny thing, many commercial big band gigs I play, people fight over the third book. Same pay, less work.

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ

Remember also, I'm sure in your band, they will probably have the 1st and 2nd chair players playing the first part, then the next few players on 2nd, and the last few on 3rd. One of the things my directors have alwasy made sure we understand is that it's not 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on down the line in order of who plays best. If that was the case you'd have all your best kids playing the high parts, and the bottom parts would all suck! Being thrid chair playing the 2nd part first is much more important than the 2nd chair player just doubling the first chair player!

Besides, it could be worse, you could have made the lower band!
    -David Jacques

Thread Information