Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What's the worst thing about the way you play? in the General forums; Originally Posted by tpter1 The root of my frustration: I refuse to accept that I'm as good as I'm going ...
    Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by tpter1
    The root of my frustration: I refuse to accept that I'm as good as I'm going to get; I refuse to take the easy route and give up to play Hot Cross Buns on clarinet or with my bands; I refuse to believe that... well... read my signature.

I am right there with you on that one, that is exactly how I feel.

Pianissimo User
    Manchester UK
    Interesting - this thread is already longer than the "whats the best thing about your playing" thread. what does that say about trumpeters?

......yes I agree.

My readings pretty good, technique ok, I'm pretty pleased with my sound. For me its range that lets me down. When I hear players say their range sucks because they can only get to Eb above top C, I get a bit irritated - at the moment I'd give my right leg (need arms to play) for a strong consistent top C. I'll get there in the end. Last year I would have said the same about top G.... but I'm not anymore.
    "I was minding my own business when something says to me, "you ought to blow trumpet." I have just been trying ever since." - Miles Davis

Eclipse LR/Warburton 3MD
    Olds Custom/Warburton 3M
    Eclipse Red Flugel/Bach 1 1/2C
    B&H "78" cornet/ DW2B

Pianissimo User
    Salt Lake City, UT
    So many to choose from....If I'm to pick just one I would say my timing and rhythmic integrity are not as solid as they should be. I should really use a metronome more often.

Indianapolis, Indiana
    My sight reading. I have aestigmatism and that causes me to jump lines. I have to wood-shed more complicated numbers. My range is not great. I own the high C and D, the rest I can only borrow from time to time.

Scales. I need to work on scales. All played two octaves played quickly and correctly is one of my goals in life.

I am just plain not good enough for most conductors today.

Did I mention I am fat and ugly and have no carissma. Most directors don't want me just for this problem alone.

Let me see, what else.......I can't spell worth a darn.
    Dale Schmidt, P.E.
    Bridges to build and Rivers crossed...

Lafayette, LA, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon City
    Did I mention I am fat and ugly...
    Let me see, what else.......I can't spell worth a darn.

Hmmmm........ we have more in common that you might think!
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Piano User
    Richland, MO
    I think for me it would definetly have to be concentration when I'm playing something I am not particularly enthralled to be playing. Otherwise, in the practice room I can concentrate all day long...
    Another big weakness for me is the "practice what sounds good" mentality that I am constantly trying to avoid. Everybody would rather sound good in the practice room, but it doesn't do you any good.
    I also have a tendency to go through phases of practicing, like I'll go a month or two on classical stuff, fundamentals, etc... then I'll get burned out and practice jazz for 4 months till I'm burned out, then I'll concentrate on lead playing for a couple months... I'm never really as well rounded as I'd like, I just change my "favorite" area of playing for a while. And then, I lack concentration on any other type of music.
    Guess what I'm saying is, I have musical ADD.
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

Tempe, Arizona
    The worst thing about my playing is clearly related to the time that I can allot to practicing and organization. I am very good about practicing maintenance type drills everyday. I very rarely miss a practice day, but many days I feel like I’m not progressing and exploring new things (mainly because I start practicing at 10 PM and many times it’s hard to go to 1 AM). I just am maintaining my current level so that when I get a call to play a job or when my regular ensembles start again I’ll be in good enough shape to “get down to business” several days or a week before I need to be playing at my best.

I’ve experienced how well I can play when I took two auditions in 2003. I feel like I could get back to that level with a good, focused month of diligent practice (morning session, and multiple evening sessions). It’s not that areas of my playing are rusty, they are just not shiny and fresh like they could be if I were more organized and driven in the off season (for me the off season is from May – October). It’s hard to keep everything working at my highest levels when I don’t have ensembles pushing me to keep my playing at that level. Lessons are great, and if I weren’t studying regularly, it would be even harder.

I’m so glad that my orchestra starts this week! I’m feeling pretty good going into the first rehearsal tonight!
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information