Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What's the worst thing about the way you play? in the General forums; If you were to critique your playing, what would be the worst thing about your playing? For me, I'll be ...

What's the worst thing about the way you play?

If you were to critique your playing, what would be the worst thing about your playing?

For me, I'll be totally honest -- I can't count as well as I think I should. I can play just about anything (within reason) but after playing for about a million years I still have to take difficult parts and sit and work them out -- not because of the horn, but because of the counting.

I've even been known to put rediculous parts on finale so I can hear them played by the computer. Like I say, I can play it of I can read it -- man after all these years I thought it would be easy.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Forte User
    Wow...this is tough. And humbling...

I have a few areas that I really don't do as well as I'd like. Concentration, sight reading (although being a band director has really improved that!). My low register has always bothered me, but it's made a lot of improvement in the past year or so (thanks, Manny!). Consistency. How a pro can go out night after night and peg that staccato A eighth note above the staff at piano on an upbeat after 40 measures of rests (and never miss it) boggles my mind.
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Piano User
    I can play pretty well any style (except rap which I hate) as long as its not insanly fast, then I have to run through it a few times. My two weaknesses are Triple Tounging and sight reading complex pieces that I have never played before. Beyond that I have been told that I am a really good player

Equipment
    Martin Committe Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

Mezzo Forte User
    I get lazy when I'm sight reading..particularly if I think I know the tune or even if I don't I have a tendency to 'wing' it. What makes it worse is that I'm usually in the section!!

Like Glenn I am amazed how guys do that type of thing. Particularly clean, high, soft entrances with absolute confidence. I'm Mr 90% if I'm all warm and comfortable but coming in cold..I'm crap. My multiple tonguing is a bit fuzzy and I'd like a couple of extra dependable notes 'on the top'.

I could definitely work on my musicianship (it's pretty ordinary) and my improvising is predictable and hasn't developed any character.

Apart from that I'm great!!

Regards,

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by camelbrass
    ... Particularly clean, high, soft entrances with absolute confidence. I'm Mr 90% if I'm all warm and comfortable but coming in cold..I'm crap.
    That's a strange characteristic of my playing -- I'm one of those lucky guys who doesn't need to warm up. I don't care if a rest is 4 beats or 400 measures. I can play on the first tune of a Mass and then play on the last tune starting a piece on a high A or something and it matters not to me.

Reading the responses so far really makes me mad -- I go back to my original post -- you know the kind of parts I'm talking about? The ones where it just looks like someone spilled ink on a piece of paper and they told everyone it was music! I hate those darn parts that are so hard to count. I guess I'm just lazy -- I can do it, I just don't like to work at it that hard.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Mezzo Forte User
    I think we all know the type of part you're talking about but I don't know why the responses you've had so far would make you really mad, I thought they were excellent points.

I read your topic as being weaknesses in the playing of those that responded and not as a general discussion of your (the proposer's) weaknesses.

My apologies for misunderstanding.

Regards,

Trevor

Forte User
    Assuming that we are allowed to post our own areas of weakness, rather than comment and sympathise with the weaknesses of other posters.

Multiple Tonguing

That's my weakness and has been for many years. Nobody really taught me how to do this succesfully, until I was already able to do it badly. It really stuffed me up. I learnt badly the first time and changing bad habits is still something I need to work on (despite having been retaught 12 years ago). It is something I am very strict with, when dealing with my students. Get them learning earlier and better than I did. An even "k" is something I aim for with them from as soon as we start thinking about multiple tonguing. I have had a few students who can multiple tongue MUCH better than I can - it's nice to know that I can teach it at least

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by bandman

[color=darkred][b]Reading the responses so far really makes me mad
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intent. Could you please clarify what your'e looking for?
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Utimate User
    That damned third finger of mine!

These days I spend more time on that than anything just to keep it even, never mind improving, LOL.

ML

Mezzo Piano User
    Weakest part of my playing......not having the &%$#@ time to play!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information