Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What's your practice room like? in the General forums; Where do you all do most of your practicing? Are the acoustics pretty alive or dead? What do you prefer? ...
    New Friend
    Rochester, MN

What's your practice room like?

Where do you all do most of your practicing? Are the acoustics pretty alive or dead? What do you prefer?

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Theres a few places I get to practice.

1.) Dorm: it sucks, gotta use the silent brass most of the time. It gets worse when I practice my sax or another woodwind, since there is no way to mute it.

2.) Practice rooms in the music school: I dont think they've been cleaned in years, the heat is never off and the AC doesnt work, not fun. very little echo in the rooms, but the walls are paper thin, so I can be practicing marching band trumpet stuff, or the Ibert Conertino da camera on sax, next to a precusion major or maybe a violin player, and gah!...

3.) Marching band rehearsal hall, or the trumpet room. THE BEST options I can get, but not often.

4.) I teach lessons in a music store, I sometimes practice between lessons, thats kinda fun. sometimes I get little kids, noses pressed to the glass on the door with awed look that is sooooooooo cute, you know what Im talkin about?

thats about it for me

Pianissimo User
    West Brookfield, MA
    Since I am out of work, I have the opportunity to practice in our greatroom of our log house. Since most of my music is set up in my office/ laundryroom, I share the practice session there, where the accoustics are still good, but considerably less than the greatroom.

ZeuS Olympus ZTR 1000
    ZeuS Guarenius ZTR 900
    Ageis F2
    Bach 3C
    Bach 5C

"Let your words be soft and sweet. You never know when you will have to eat them!"

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Most often the band room, because that's where I work...acoustically, not the best. Not a whole lot of ring in there, except for the cymbals (especially on an A) and bells.

Sometimes the school auditorium (when noone is here).

Sometimes a stairwell (again, when noone is here).

Sometimes I go to Crane and break into a hall or rehearsal room there...

Sometimes my bedroom (really dead) or the kitchen (really live).
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Pianissimo User
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I practice in my garage because it lets the horn ring a bit. It sure sucks though during the cold Utah winters!

Forte User
    My basement studio. Tile floor, but paneling over the concrete walls, finished ceiling. Just enough reverb without getting too boomy or dead.

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    The loft of my house which overlooks the great room. Until my studio in the building out back is finished, this is where I practice most of the time. Since it is all wood, I can point my bell where the ceiling meets the wall and hear myself "dry" or point it over the great room with the high ceiling and there is plenty of ring. Wood is a "dry" environment to begin with, so I don't have any over reverberation to cover up inadequacies.

I have many things around me that make me smile and feel warm. Photos and art. I even burn candles and light incense when I practice sometimes. It just helps put me in a wonderful state of mind.

san diego
    The studio den,the living room,the bed room.
    I would say basicly all around the house.
    I have a habit of walking from room to room sometimes,and stop by the bathroom for some reverb.
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

Pianissimo User
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    I guess I am lucky. My practice room/studio (I teach a fair number of aspiring trumpeters at home as well as at university) is the combined formal parlor and dining room of my old Victorian era home. With 10 foot ceilings, plaster and lath walls,heart of pine floors, and an area of @ 40X20, I have a wonderful space. The entire space is filled with antiques, oriental rugs on the floor, and has marvelous acoustics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information