Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss When you know you don't know in the General forums; Originally Posted by Zebra Thanks Ed. I'll most certainly look those men up. I hadn't come across those names yet ...
    Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: When you know you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    Thanks Ed. I'll most certainly look those men up. I hadn't come across those names yet but I most certainly will and with all the names that have been given already I think your right--I hadn't put in enough search time. I appreciate the direction to those folks.

Part of me wishes I were in Asheville instead of Jackson in Northampton County approximately 200 miles away to the East bordering VA with a census population of only 600 albeit a county seat. Very scenic out your way. Hardly so here but it is my wife's home town and we now live in what was her family home.

Although I mention the tutor/teachers at the Music School, I have no personal knowledge or acquaintance with them or can confirm they are still there. Too, I don't know what music program (if any) the University of North Carolina at Asheville (UNCA) has to offer. Every once in a while I hear the ASO on classic radio. However, like all orchestras specific musicians come and go.

Vienna, Austria, Europe

I was quite impressed with your first post. So much thought is rather unusual in a beginning/comeback player. You should change your nickname to "Socrates" - the guy who first coined the phrase "I know that I know nothing."

Melbourne Australia

Welcome to TM. You are on the right path, and asking the right questions. As you already know, there are many Comebackers here on TM. I came back at 50, and the best thing I did was to join a Community band as soon as I could. I found my teacher there, and still have Friday Night lessons. I now play in the Community Concert band, a Big Band, and a Light Orchestra. Keep music in your life, and play along with those Violas.

Along with your thinking consider "You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you!" Hence the need for a good teacher at the start of the journey.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

I agree. He's put some real thought into his first post.I'm a veteran of three comebacks myself. Still working on getting up to speed. I'm currently playing with my wife's alumni band, a new start up concert group, did some work with a small dance/show band, and am a member of Bugles Across America. And, there's always N+1
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Piano User
    NY, USA

Zebra, if you could learn wet plate, you can definitely handle trumpet. You know everyone in the community supports you. You'll do great.
    Jaeger Diamond Bb Trumpet
    Conn 22b NY Symphony Bb Trumpet
    A pile of cornets
    Mild N+1 disease...

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

Welcome to TM! Best wishes in finding a good teacher.
    Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

finding a teacher is great advice... but what you gotta do is practice everyday. You had 35yrs off. You don't need any more.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Welcome to TM, Zebra!

You were fortunate to have played trumpet in your youth. Like any language, the older we are when we start the more difficulties we encounter. Note names, rhythms and fingerings will come back very quickly; endurance and range very slowly.

You are fortunate to be an adult. Take a scientific approach to playing (and not merely rush ahead to the next level, like a video gamers).

I would start out by getting any band method and start with lesson one. Read all the instructions and play, a critical yet forgiving listener. I would suggest playing each of the lessons for at least a week (six days on, one day off, to allow for recovery). Play the lesson through at least three times; and if you find it easy, then slow down the tempo. The idea is to start building endurance from the start. Of course try to play each number as perfectly as possible, but don't beat yourself up over a bad note.

Hope this helps!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Wanted to take the time to say thanks to all of the great leads everyone put forth in regards to the Asheville area. I contacted Jeff Purtle who is in Greenville, South Carolina which is about an hour and ten minutes from me and have my first lesson set up for the 18th of September. I fly out of Greenville's airport quite a bit so in person lessons, if not weekly will be regular, along with some internet time as well for the times I am away from home. Looking forward to the growth a quality instructor is sure to provide. Won't feel like I'm bumping into so many walls in this dark room I'm currently in!

Thanks all,

trickg likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information