Trumpet Discussion Discuss Where did that top E go? in the General forums; I'm a 'comeback' player, been back for about 3 years. I do as much practice as I can, but that ...
    Pianissimo User
    UK (Mids)

Where did that top E go?

I'm a 'comeback' player, been back for about 3 years. I do as much practice as I can, but that isn't much. My range usually tops out at high C, and even that's a bit weak and has disappeared buy the half-time break! A month or so ago, I was mucking around, keeping my seven month old son amused playing (would you believe) Battle Hymn of The Republic.

Starting on a mid-stave G, it goes up to the top-space E. Then, without really thinking about it, just concentrating on my son's big gummy grin really, I started it up an octave and played it through. Verse and chorus. My son liked it, my wife said 'play that again' so I did. Then my wife said 'what was that high note? It sounded really good!' I realised I'd just repeatedly played a top E. A good one, with good tone, just like the other notes!

I've never done that before. And sadly, when I try to do it again, it's just not there. I can squeak out a dodgy half-D, but the E is completely out of reach. I don't understand . It's obviously in there, and in me, but I just can't get to it! Anyone else found this? Solved it?

(Bach Strad 180ML-37 and GR 66MX if it matters)

Mezzo Forte User
    Dubai, UAE
    I'm no high note expert either but I do know that 2 things are necessary.

1. Lots of efficient practice

2. Relax

To get a great sounding higher register you have to do both. You obviously pushed the 'relax' button.

Manchester / London
    Funnily enough there's a related thread in Manny's forum.

Oh, and what Trevor said!

New Friend
    Charleston, WV
    I know how you feel. It happens to every trumpet player. Just practice lip slurs and flexibility studies until you can scream.
    Conn Vintage One 1BS-46

King Super 20

Thread Information