Trumpet Discussion Discuss Where should I move? in the General forums; Trumpet Master, This is sort of a strange question, but at this point I'm really open to any suggestions. I'll ...
    Grand Island, NE

Where should I move?

Trumpet Master,

This is sort of a strange question, but at this point I'm really open to any

I'll be graduating this may from Penn State with a Master's degree in
    trumpet performance. I've decided to not begin my DMA right away, as I
    think I should get some performing and teaching experience first. My
    girlfriend and I are deciding where we should move next year. Although I'm
    taking several auditions (Baltimore Symphony, Army Field Band, Marine Band,
    and whatever else pops up), I'm not PLANNING on winning any of them
    (although you never know...) There is also the possibility that a
    professorship at a small liberal arts college that I have my foot in the
    door, although I'm not planning on getting offered that job either. What is
    probably going to happen is that I will move to a large city, teach, gig,
    and take lessons from someone in the orchestra to learn the rep well enough
    to win a job. My girlfriend is in Arts Management (and is very good at
    it...she used to work at the Kennedy Center), so she can really go anywhere.

My question is this...where do you suggest that I move next summer? I'd
    like to stay on the east coast, or in the midwest, for the shear purpose of
    moving expenses. I'm looking for the job market as far as teaching and
    playing opportunities. I can also get a part-time day-gig if I need to.
    Here are some of the cities that I've thought about...

Washington DC (my teacher Fitz, is well connected down there and could
    probably help get my foot in the door)
    Pittsburgh (already take lessons on the side from Chuck Lirette)
    Chicago (know the town, but don't really know anyone there)
    Omaha (native Nebraskan...know a lot of the guys in this town, and Lincoln
    as well)

These were just some thoughts that my girlfriend and I had. We are
    definitely open to suggestions, however. Any thoughts?

Louie Eckhardt, MM
    Freelance Trumpeter
    Cathedral Brass Quintet

Boston, MA
    I'd say Chicago for the huge music scene... not to mention the proximity of other cities around Chi-town (Milwaukee, Madison, etc). I love that town and the people there. I almost went to DePaul for grad school (on a full ride) but got cold feet and then decided against it.

Second on the list would be DC.

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Are you directing your question to Trumpet Master or to everyone here in the forum? If to everyone, then I'll offer a suggestion.

At the locations of where you are living right now, start to apply to the various places that you think that you would like to live in, to raise a family, etc and see what doors will be open and which ones will be closed. Then make your decision.

To settle on a particular place without any openings would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face for there would be no openings in the field for you to grow and advance in. If you are set on a particular place and there is an opening somewhere else, then go somewhere else until an opening is available in that place that you wanted before.

Good luck,

Chicago northern suburbs

My kind of town!

Hey, Trent! Are you trying to keep the young lions outta your back yard???

Just kidding!

Actually, I love Boston, but I don't know the music scene there. Chicago is a great town (I do live there, so I'm prejudiced). Things ain't what they used to be (read my November ITG Journal Article for more on that), but all things considered, this is a good music town to find some work in. The central proximity thing is nice, too. Milwaukee and northern Indiana are well within reach. Heck, I did a hit and run in St Louis last weekend! The bread was too good to blow off for the drive time.

If you come to Chicago, look me up! I'd be pleased to help you find your way around the gig scene.

Washington DC has more trumpet players receiving a full time paycheck with benefits than any other city in the US and possibly on planet earth. That's good and bad. Lots of people competing for outside work but also lots of trumpet players creating part time work as well. The surrounding VA counties of Fairfax, Prince William and Loudon all have substantial school music programs if you want to teach privately or are looking for a job teaching school. If you're seeking a military band gig or music teaching job this could be a good place to come.
    Bill S.- NY and Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets, Bach "C" cornet, NY Bach trombone 6vii, Schilke G and Yamaha Eb, Bb/A and flugelhorn. Warburton and Monette mouthpieces.

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar
    I would look into what the private teaching scene is like in those places. If you have friends there see if they can hook you up with students. Or contact band directors and see what is going on. It is going to be very tough showing up in one of those cities and trying to make it work on playing alone in the first year. Its possible. But I wouldn't want to try that unless my wife a had a sweet gig and I knew we could pay the rent if things were slow.

Thread Information