Trumpet Discussion Discuss where to start in the General forums; i dont know what areas to look at in a new trumpet. whats the diffrence between an intermediate and professional ...
    Pianissimo User

where to start

i dont know what areas to look at in a new trumpet. whats the diffrence between an intermediate and professional model? I just dont know where to start and what prices are reasonable for each trumpet. Im in 10th grade and i plan on playing in college. I would like a good trumpet that would last me a while. I just dont know what the good deals are. any information would be helpful

thanks in advance

New Friend

Re: where to start

This depends on how much you are willing to invest and what qualities you want in a horn. I got my Bach Stradivarius on ebay, at a very decent price too. I didn't really know what or how I should purchase, so we gave my private teacher 1000 dollars and said, "get the best horn you can for that price." He ended up getting an early 80's Straduvarius in very good condition. I was, and am, happy with it.

If you do happen to do this, it would be best to do this with a teacher that knows you and your abilities well so that he can purchase the right horn for you. Obviously, the teacher must also be qualified and trusted.
    Last edited by (Trumpet)(2009); 01-19-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: multiple typos

Casper, WY

Hi Sam.

This link --->

will take you to Jim Donaldson's "Trumpet Gearhead" site, and one of the early topics is "Which Trumpet Should I Buy."

Mr. Donaldson does such a great job, I thought you might find it helpful. I did. I followed his advice when I began playing trumpet again and wound up with a beatiful horn for not a lot of money.

Richard Oliver

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

I second Richard's advice.

Jim Donaldson gives a good unbiased review of which horns to buy and stay away from.

Have fun.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

trumpet 2009 has great advice. If you don't know very much, get professional help! You can educate yourself to a certain extent, but taking a qualified person with you will drastically reduce the chance of making a mistake!
    If you can afford it, avoid intermediate instruments, they are more of a marketing idea than a real improvement over "student" instruments.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information