Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree16Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Who did you stydy with? in the General forums; Originally Posted by trickg Is there a limit to how many times someone can hijack a thread? Actually, and I ...
    Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Re: Who did you stydy with?

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Is there a limit to how many times someone can hijack a thread?
    Actually, and I know you were somewhat kidding, but of all the forums I've been on since 2000, this forum is the most abusive of that "on topic" policy. Never seen anything like it.

Still, thanks for your experience. It seems that a lot of the pros and cons about the school depend on what you wanted going in and coming out. Now, I'll go read other more useful threads, like whether an Olds trumpet that's seventy years old really does still have good valves.

(I know that -my- 70 year old mechanics don't work like they once did.)
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Re: Who did you stydy with?

I've always treated threads like conversations, and most conversations deviate away from the main topic now and again. Are you saying that this forum is bad about straying off topic, or that people complain when it does stray off topic?

Getting back to the subject, I once took a lesson with Jack Wengrowsk, retired lead player of the US Army Jazz Ambassadors. At the time I was having some issues with endurance getting to the end of the gig. The lesson lasted about an hour and it was mostly focused on conceptual things - sort of how I approached my playing with some of the music I'd brought with me. Not so much a "chop doc" thing as just looking for ways to play smarter, not harder. The idea was that I'd call him back and readdress some things if I continued to have problems, but the difference that one lesson made was night and day, and it was the only lesson I took with him.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information