Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Who have you seen live? in the General forums; Haha Veery in HS band the students get called "trumpets" "clarinets" etc all the time. Turtlejimmy - You and I ...
    Piano User
    Gilroy, California

Re: Who have you seen live?

Haha Veery in HS band the students get called "trumpets" "clarinets" etc all the time.

Turtlejimmy - You and I are both new players, I think? I'm a really new player and I think you're kinda new ..... I think a lot of it comes down to interest. I'd have seen tons of great players by now if I'd been interested in trumpet for the last say 20 years, money aside, I've have FOUND a way to see 'em. Portland's no cultural wasteland, and neither is the SF Bay Area which I live in the south end of, I can take the train just about anywhere.

Also, unlike in the past, if we're online, we have YouTube. No it's not like seeing someone live, but it's much better than just a book, for seeing how the greats play.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Wynton, Roy Hargrove, Miles, Bernard Soustrot. Very sad I never got to hear Dizzy and Maurice Andre.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

I've been going to shows since the 1960's. I've seen too many to mention.

Ithaca NY

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Haha Veery in HS band the students get called "trumpets" "clarinets" etc all the time.
    Sure, that is how one refers to a section. It is still synecdoche (sinekdokie), but is useful as a figure of speech as a time saver. Can you imagine the conductor/director saying, "OK, trumpeters and trombonists, remember the emphasis in measure 26 is on the dotted quarter, and de-empasize the eighth". Plus, in high school the director can call you whatever he wants and you'd better just shut up and do what he says.

To me, it is different to talk about a concert experience where you heard a soloist and refer to him/er as a trumpet. It gives short shrift to the performer. And how hard is it to add two or three letters to a word to show some respect?
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

I've seen Chuck Mangione, Al Hirt, Doc, Phil Driscoll and Wynton. Was getting ready to purchase tickets to see Maynard, but never got to see him. Pretty sad about that.

It's been pretty awesome.

Pianissimo User

I have seen a some, had the good fortune to speak to a few, but most memorable for me, was the chance to tell Art Farmer just how much the pretty notes coming out of his horn meant to me.
    I might have listened, but did I hear

Piano User
    Metro Detroit, Michigan

Marcus Belgrave at the Detroit Jazz Festival last year. I don't know if this counts as well, but I also saw Dave Brubeck there the day before.
    1952 Olds Studio Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1950 Olds Ambassador Bb
    2007 Jupiter Tribune Bb
    1995 Conn 86B C
    2000 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Many over the years. Early on I was fortunate to see Al Hirt and Herb Alpert- early 60s. Around 69 or 70 I was introduced to Maynard and attended his concerts from then until his death. That allowed me the fortune of hearing some great players. In the early 70s Maynard had 4 or 5 trumpets in the section-all top lead players. Over the years it let me see many -including Wayne, Patrick, John Owens and others more recently. I also saw Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, and Stan Kenton whenever possible -they always had great trumpet players.

Saw Nick Russo at Disney World in the late 70s. He had a "scream" band that played for about 15 minutes every hour. I ended up not seeing Dizney just to watch the band.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

I wish I could go back in time to when I was like 4-6 years old and convince my parents to see Miles Davis live....somehow.

I haven't seen that many live...but

I've seen....

Maynard Ferguson (just a couple weeks before he died, too! Holy....!!!)
    Chuck favorite that I heard in person.
    Claudio Roditi
    Randy Brecker
    The Utah Symphony, LA Philharmonic and London Symphony trumpet sections. =p
    Boston Brass, I think it was...or somewhere around Boston....

I think that's it. That's pretty awful. There's not many jazz trumpeters around. Jazz at the Sheraton rarely has trumpet players, and if they do, it's probably smooth fast or exotic stuff. :/ Wait....daaaaaaaang.... Byron Stripling came and performed there last year! CHICK COREA, TOO!!! Even though he's not trumpet. Jon Faddis came in 2008.... I shoulda made that one....

I would love to hear Arturo Sandoval in person.

Alberta, Canada

Smile Re: Who have you seen live?

Living where I do I have been very fortunate to see many greats. Mind you many of them were not here at home or at ITG Banff (I couldn't get away from work).

Clark Terry (my fav), Guido Basso, Vince DiMartino, Allen Vizzuti, Doc, Vince Cichowicz, Bud, Brad Turner, Ingrid Jensen, Randy Brecker, Adam Rapa, Wynton and JALC (so Marcus Printups and Sean Jones), Mnozil Brass, Canadian Brass, Jens Lindemann, Arturo, Marvin Stamm, Jon Faddis, Dizzy, Phil Smith, Roy Hargrove, Armando Ghitala, James Thompson, Arnie Chycoski, Kevin Dean, Wayne Bergeron and a few more that I can't recall right now. All inspiring in different ways.

I had a chance to see Miles here at home about 25 years ago but opted out as I was not into his rock/fusion stuff. Regret that one now.

While I wish I could have seen Maynard and Al Hirt live I look forward to one day seeing Dave Douglas and Chris Botti.
    1937 Bach New York Bb L 25
    1945 Bach New York Bb ML 37
    1962 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb ML 37*
    1985 Bach Vindabona Bb MLV 72
    1991 Bach Anniversary Edition CL 229G
    2004 Bach 72*/43 Bb ML
    1946 Martin Committee M Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1962 Olds Recording Bb ML
    1946 Conn Coprion 12B Bb
    1962 Reynolds Contempra Cornet
    1964 Bach Mt. Vernon 165 Flugel