Trumpet Discussion Discuss Who Made Bach Strike-Trumpets? in the General forums; I have seen discussed pre- vs. post-strike horns made by Bach (aka Conn-Selmer-Steinway). But I have yet to read anything ...
    New Friend

Who Made Bach Strike-Trumpets?

I have seen discussed pre- vs. post-strike horns made by Bach (aka Conn-Selmer-Steinway). But I have yet to read anything about strike trumpets; that is, horns made during the strike by company X. Bach shoveled off at least some of its production during the strike. I found that out after I bought from Dominic's music (as advertised on Ebay) a Bach trumpet. Its main slide has a spit valve that does not align directly with the spit hole, evidently because the wrong spit valve was soldered on (perhaps a 3rd valve, spit-valve) or it was soldered on slightly on the wrong place on the slide. I was getting a lot of spit on the table under the trumpet when I practiced over a table.

Way back in Sept 10, 2010, I was told by Dominic that Bach was going to take care of getting me another tuning slide right away; but it has not yet come (as of Nov 18, 2010). After I squawked some, a very nice person told me that the reason for the delay was that Bach was going back to the strike manufacturer who made my horn. Ach!! I bought the horn ~ July, 2010, but it had been made during the strike, which I think ended in 2008. So I got some old strike stock dumped on me unawares. But I can't fault anyone legally, for a manufacturer is free to subcontract out work & put his name on it. Your brand name medicine could be made by Podunk Product Pill Producer Generico for all you know. & I don't know if Dominic knew or not. But if I had known it was a strike horn, not actually made by Bach, I would not have bought it.

And I can't say that the horn doesn't make a pretty sound. Bach may have been super careful on tone, but they weren't super careful at checking the spit valve. On the other hand, they may have been super careful to make sure they kept shipping out horns to sell. And BTW, I do not sympathize with scabs. Yet I also know that foreign competition can make it impossible to pay workers a decent salary or even stay in business. Who can compete with child workers or prisoners put to work by the state (our prisoners should have to work).

So my curiosity is Who Actually Made My "Bach" TR301? Pronounce the a in Bach like the a in batch (& don't get fancy with the ch, trying to sound like a Scotsman saying Loch Ness Monster; no Germanic palatial fricative ch -- use the ch in "chop chop.")

Oh Well, Does anyone know who made the Bach strike-trumpets?

Re: Who Made Bach Strike-Trumpets?

The TR line to my knowledge was never made by Bach in the states. That always has been far east production. It was not affected by any strike.

When we talk about strike horns, we are talking only about the Stradivarius models. Bach (Conn-Selmer) brought in non union workers during the strike. They supposedly had a different skill level. To be honest, I have NEVER played a Strad from this time that was unusually bad - in terms of fit and finish or playing characteristics. I have a Bach C from the 70s and it shows shoddy workmanship - even although there was no strike at the time.

I think that the problem during the strike was that Conn-Selmer found a way of continuing production which is essentially thumbing your nose at the union workers. That has caused a variety of myths to pop up.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Melbourne Australia

Re: Who Made Bach Strike-Trumpets?

Rowuk says:
    To be honest, I have NEVER played a Strad from this time that was unusually bad - in terms of fit and finish or playing characteristics.That has caused a variety of myths to pop up.
    I fully agree. The Bad ones people talk about playing, all seem to find a home. So as nearly everyone says "Play first, and play many Strads before you choose; yours will choose you!" I think Strads are an industry standard for a reason..

My understanding was that Strike horns were assembled by staff and non union labour, and not necessarily the normal technicians, so some frowning over build quality. Not always a real story, probably some truth and enough to support the myth.

The TR300s are production line units aimed at the student area. Made to compete on price, and volumes. They carry the Bach name, but do not confuse with a Stradivarius.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Thread Information