Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Who played Getzen Eternas besides me and Doc. in the General forums; A friend just said to me he didn't think much of the (older) Getzen Eternas. . . Doc was the ...
    New Friend

Who played Getzen Eternas besides me and Doc.

A friend just said to me he didn't think much of the (older) Getzen Eternas. . . Doc was the only one who played it! I guess my question has to be, who else (who's supposed to be anybody) played the horn? I have played a lot of different horns: pros cheapies and student varieties but still like the early Eterna . . . what's up?
    Last edited by CMDR47; 02-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Re: Who played Getzen Eternas besides me and Doc.

Well, using the format of your title . . . me and Doc and Larry Ford.

I bought one of the first productions. I played it at North Texas and in the service. Many of you won't know who Larry Ford was, but I was with Larry at North Texas and later in the Air Force. He played lead in the One O'clock Band, the NORAD band, and in Woody and Stan's bands (all in the 1960s), and later was a first-call player in L.A., as well as playing in Toshiko's band. I don't know what he played in L.A. but I was with him for about three years in the AF (late 60s) and he played a Severinson model then. Very refined player.

Your friend said he didn't think very much of them. I'll be honest about the Getzen. I tried Schilkes and didn't like the looser slotting vis a vis my current trumpet. I really liked the Benges I tried but couldn't afford them. I considered my Severinson my poor man's Benge, since it gave me what I got from the Benges but at a price I could afford. I'll add that at the time, there were other players also playing some of the higher pitched Getzens in symphony orchestras, as well.

I don't know what your friend has against them. What kind of chops and experience does he have?
    Last edited by kehaulani; 02-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Richard Oliver and Mark_Kindy like this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Piano User

John Audino, Snooky Young, Lee Loughnane, Freddie Hubbard, Thad Jones, William Vachiano, (among others), played Getzens. (according to the 1977 Getzen catalog) Might not have necessarily been Eternas.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I loved the sound of my old 900S (retired now) but didn't like the way the G above the staff was sharp, (fingering 12 was flat and 13 with slide was a bother) so ended up with a Schilke. Still love my tricked-out Capri C, though.

Before he switched to Monette, Charles Schlueter played Getzens. Snooky Young played them too.

"A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Ironically. alot of players in the service used them early on. I bought mine in 1966 along with several other players at the USNTC band in San Diego. Besides myself, Gary Grant who left the Navy stepped right into the Thundering Herd lread slot. The trumpet and flugal horn sets were great . . . I still have and love both of my Getzens. Turns out it wasn't just me and Doc! . . . cool!

Cary NC

I think Doc was the VP of Getzen's marketing dept. at the time he played the Eterna. I've played a few Eternas and think they are nice horns. I played a Schilke B6 in the Coast Guard band though.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

Dayton, Ohio

I play a Getzen Eterna flugelhorn, and in addition to Freddie Hubbard, Rick Braun also played the Eterna until just recently. On this site, TrumpetMD and rowuk also play Getzen Eterna flugelhorns.
    Last edited by gmonady; 02-19-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

I dug around the house and found 4 pages of the April 1970(!) Getzen Gazette which I picked up at the NAMM Show in Chicago that year. I was student at the time and we could get in for free. There were more pages, but I can't find them right now.
    Anyway, there are a few names in there who were Getzen artists back then. One was Fred Sautter who was at the time playing lead trumpet on the Moscow Circus tour in the West Coast and later became the principal trumpet in the Portland Symphony. Knud Hovaldt, principal trumpet of the Royal Danish Philharmonic, John Dickenson and Allen Young of the Halle Orchestra were all playing Getzen Eternas.
    There is an article on Rick Metzger, the then principal trumpet of the Milwaukee Symphony who was a consultant to Getzen. I might think he was on an Eterna for his work in the orchestra.
    Most interestingly, there is an article on a 12th grader at that time, a certain Allen Vizzutti! It does not say he played a Getzen, nor does it imply he did at that time, but one thing is for certain, Doc Severinsen already knew of him and said Allen was one of the finest talents he had ever heard. The picture of Allen certainly is that of a teenage Allen Vizzutti.
    Also, there are two Getzen players on this site. Solar Bell and Nick Drozdoff, both of whom are using Getzen Eternas (Severinsen models, I believe) from that era in their daily professional work. I know Nick's is a large bore and he plays the heck out of it.
    A Severinsen model from that era is one of a handful of trumpets I would love to have.
    Richard Oliver likes this.

dubuque iowa

Dont want to toot my own horn...wait a minute, I love tooting my own horn...but I play an Eterna. I earn money with it so I consider myself a professional. OK I have a day job that pays the bills, but Ive payed for cash or food or drinks and that counts, right? Im not nearly good enough to go full time, especially in Dubuque where music jobs are scarce so its my hoby. If It was work I just wouldnt like it. Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Mezzo Forte User

Getzen valves blocks weigh a ton. My modular horn getzen/edwards can be taken apart. The entire bulk of the weight in the valve block weighs more than the bell and slides.

Forget who played what...if you like stuff built like a tank then Getzen is for you. Of course Bach/Shilke/Stomvi also make some damn fine horns. Early Eterna is nothing to sneeze at unless you've got mold in those old valves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information