Trumpet Discussion Discuss who taught Dizzy fundamentals? in the General forums; is there a puff cheek conservatory somewhere down south?...
    Piano User

who taught Dizzy fundamentals?

is there a puff cheek conservatory somewhere down south?
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Piano User
    i thought he was from South Carolina or someplace like that.
    did he learn cheek puffing from this person in New York?
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Pianissimo User

Thank You

TX:
    It is great to see you contributing to TM. Thank you. As long as you have something to say that isn't an attack, I'll be glad to see you here. I am no long term or heavy member but, I will be glad for all contributions.

I have often wondered where Dizzy learned to do that. If it was being taught, are there others from that time period in NY whom I am not aware of?

-dH

Fortissimo User
    I recall reading or hearing somewhere that Dizzy was not taught to puff out his cheeks... that it was a "habit" he got into and it got progressively "worse" as his cheeks got more elastic. Look closely at photos of him later in life and you'll see that his neck bulged out too.. almost herniated. Since there are so few(!) people who do that, I have to believe that it was unique to him as an individual rather than a "school of embouchure".

I found this quote on a page about Diz. "The first things that people noticed about Dizzy Gillespie were the way his cheeks popped out when he played and the strange trumpet he had, with its bell pointing up at an angle. The first was just a quirk of his playing, and the second happened by accident when somebody sat on his horn."

I still remember the episode of "The Muppets" where he put his finger on his lips and "blew his face up" in response to a question from one of the Muppets. He played some very tasty notes in that show too.

Fortissimo User
    txtrpt.... what in HE!! are you babbling about? Where did I accuse YOU of saying that he learned to puff his cheeks from Roy Stevens? If you take the time to READ you'll see that it was jamesfromphilly who indicated that he was wondering where he LEARNED it from.

In fact, what gives you the almighty gall to think that I would even respond to a post of yours considering the utter lack of useful information posted by yourself in your current "29 and counting" posts on this website?

You want to talk about Edwards trumpets? Great... we welcome you to enter the Wild West forum which is for all those brands not represented with their own forum. I already have posted that I had contacted Brent Getzen with the idea of him coming here and having a Getzen forum. So far he has declined.

If you want to be taken seriously, GROW UP and start communicating like a mature adult instead of the thumb-sucking, potty-mouthed juvenile that you have been coming across as.

In the meantime..... :)

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by txtrpt
    Dizzy was born "John Birks Gillespie"
    in Cheraw South Carolina. He went to NYC when he was about
    19 or 20 and he studied privately with Roy Stevens at the
    Stevens-Costello Embouchure Clinic. as did many other players
    in New York at that time .
    Huh????
    Diz was born in 1917.
    In 1937, he would have been 20. Diz was around Philly at that time.
    He had not joined the Cab Calloway band.
    And............Roy Stevens was NOT teaching trumpet anywhere
    Wilmer

Thread Information