Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By robrtx
  • 3 Post By kehaulani
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Why Everyone Should Learn To Play An Instrument in the General forums; Is playing an instrument good for the soul? I ask as someone who has yet to experience it for myself ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Why Everyone Should Learn To Play An Instrument

Is playing an instrument good for the soul? I ask as someone who has yet to experience it for myself as I'm in a difficult personal medical situation and I ask as someone whose musical experiences have been mediocre within formal education.
    Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

Re: Why Everyone Should Learn To Play An Instrument

Yes! Definitely!
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

Forte User

Bach CR300 cornet
    Getzen 700 Eterna
    Getzen 390 (stay-at-school horn)
    Blessing "C"
    Yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    Buescher Custom Built model 264 Aristocrat cornet

First off, best to you for a full and speedy recovery. Having experienced some medical setbacks myself, I think that keeping a positive outlook can be as powerful as medicine and skilled physicians for a good outcome.

To that end, anything that might give someone something to look forward to can be food for the soul.......
    tobylou8 likes this.

Schilke B1 & S42 (Bb), Conn 38A Connstellation (Cornet), Bach Strad 183 (Flugel), French Besson Classic (C)
    Plus a modest collection of vintage trumpets.

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." Kurt Vonnegut

"It aint the mouthpiece." W.W.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

My answer is - sometimes.

Some people engage in activities which normally would enrich one's soul but never ever get past the surface to where they can feel it. Others go right to the heart of the matter (so to speak) immediately. I don't think this necessarily has to do with the level of accomplishment, either.

On a related note, I don't believe that it's necessary for the performer to reach the listener emotionally as an indication that the performer him/herself has feeling. Conversely, I'm not sure that if a listener is moved spiritually, it means that the performer was actually experiencing the same. Obviously, the optimum is when both performer and listener share a spiritual bond, but I don't think that's always the case.

Your implication of the relationship to one's health and the spiritual or healing properties of playing an instrument, I think is just personal. Some will find comfort in playing even the simplest of things, while others won't, no matter what their effort. I struggle with bad health. At times (as a matter of fact, this evening is a good example) it's a real chore trying to do anything spiritual. I'll say this, for me, it's a whole lot easier to get deep satisfaction when I'm feeling better.

In my experience, playing trumpet is an even greater challenge to feel anything spiritual if you're just not in the mood because of the physical demands. There are times I'd much rather play recorder than trumpet. Tonight's an example. If I just wanted to feel better, I'd play some great Dutch Baroque and Renaissance music on recorder. But I've got a big band rehearsal tomorrow eve and I've been on vacation, missed both rehearsals and practicing regularly, so I have to practice tonight. I might be surprised, but I don't expect to get much out of it, emotionally.

In other words, I think people are different and they react differently. And the instrument of their choice may also be a factor.
    -C-, BernArt and Yamypappy like this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

Your question should not be presented as a "universal."

Some (myself for sure) have found great comfort over the years in playing music. Others will find equal comfort through other activities whether "art" related or not. you could easily rephrase your "universal" as "Why everyone should run" or "exercise" or "cook."

A fellow trumpet player commented recently after a rehearsal that he enjoyed our rehearsals together because he identifies musicality in the way we blended our parts. For me that is an affirmation of my desire to play. The rest of the day was awful, but I could reflect on his comment and feel better.

My wife (and I ) play piano. She coaches my trumpet practice with her piano experience. It has always been a bond. 35 years ago during a particularly challenging period (outside crap) we would put the kids to bed and then play pieces where she was on piano and i was on trumpet. I don't know if our children remember this or not, but the creation of music together was therapy and wonderful.

Way earlier, in college and as a single, i would often put my headphones on and play my 1969 Wurlitzer electric piano late into the night. Cheaper than therapy.

I remember as a college student (junior year abroad) traveling in Europe and on the Costa del Sol in Spain playing my trumpet on the beach late at night. No crowd - no applause -- but did wonders for my soul.

I am not gifted athletically. so i can't get the same feelings from running.

So the answer is to find your muse and follow it and nurture it. And it will take care of you.

Melbourne Australia

If you medically are restricted - have a look at the recorder or Irish Whistle - they can be fun, and you do not have to blow hard.

Answer: Maybe not everyone, but everyone should have the opportunity... even if just to whistle.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by bamajazzlady View Post
    Is playing an instrument good for the soul? I ask as someone who has yet to experience it for myself as I'm in a difficult personal medical situation and I ask as someone whose musical experiences have been mediocre within formal education.
    Imagine not playing, and you'll have your answer.

And don't feel alone in your medical difficulty; no one said life was easy. One thing I repeatedly found to be true is that whenever I mentioned a problem I had, the person I was talking to would trump me. It became a game of "Can you top this?", and I would always lose.

I wish you the best of health.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

New Friend
    Raleigh, NC

Personally, I can't complain-and no one would listen in any case. But I can sympathize with you and your situation. As I recall, you bought a plastic trumpet because you thought a brass one too heavy. Arthritis has weaken my wife similarly. But, to your question, I think the answer is a qualified yes. Particularly when I am working on new or difficult music I don't feel at peace-and it shows. But once a piece begins to come together, I often do feel moments of peace. Sometimes, when my wife is listening, and I am playing her favorites on the organ, and she is singing along, yes then I do feel something spiritual.

Yamaha YTR 737

Mezzo Forte User
    Ft. Worth, TX

Thank you for starting this thread, bamajazzlady, and best wishes to you in your medical situation.

I have long been of the opinion that everyone should play an instrument if they are capable. I believe it is good and healthy for the mind, body, and spirit. Listening to certain music is definitely uplifting, and the ability to create such music is much more so. I wish I could say I experience it more often than I do...

However, the thread triggered another thought entirely - most of Gen Pop doesn't play an instrument, so those of us that do should play with gratitude. Many of us can get discouraged at times with the trumpet, as it is a difficult instrument to play. But I can play with the knowledge that while I'm no Marsalis or Ferguson, anytime I'm together with family or friends, I'm almost always the best trumpet player in the room. And that's an encouraging thought.

Whether it's piano or trumpet or something else, I wish you the best of luck.
    “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”

~Michael Jordan

Thread Information