Trumpet Discussion Discuss why not Conn in the General forums; a friend of mine is looking for a pro horn and asked his teacher what to get. he gave him ...
    New Friend

Question why not Conn

a friend of mine is looking for a pro horn and asked his teacher what to get. he gave him a list of good horns and ones to stay away from. one of which is Conn. I myself have a Conn vintage one. from what i know and the stuff ive heard from people i heard they are good horns. so basically what is so bad about Conn pro horn to be put on my friends do not buy list from his teacher?

Forte User

Re: why not Conn

I think it comes down to opinion. Your friends teacher may have tried a few pro Conn horns and felt they were dogs, so when his students ask for recommendations he goes with horns that sound good...for him.

If you go to another teacher you may find Conn on the "good" list and Bach, for example, on the naughty list.

I don't think there's a general rule about the Vintage One horns that makes them bad. Dillon's music has a ton of them (in different configurations) and I though a couple played really well...but that's just my opinion!

Cincinnati, OH

Sadly Conn's name and reputation were ruined along with King and Benge throughout the '70s, '80s and '90s. They focused on mainly student instruments, cutting costs and as a result made decent serviceable horns for kids to learn on. Few of their horns were really up to snuff for Professionals. Only recently with the Conn Vintage One did they make a real effort to build a quality Pro horn. I love mine, but many won't even try one and just dismiss them based on the poor track record from the past 3 decades. If you read through this site, tons of people love the old Conn, King and Benge horns and for good reason.
    The Vintage One is a really nice horn, try several as they come in different configurations. Also try with both tuning slides, this can make a huge difference in your perception of the horn. If the horn feels stuffy with the more squared off tuning slide, switch it for the rounded one and it will feel more open. If the rounded slide feels too open for you and you want more resistance, then the squared shape will be preferable. I also like the rose brass bell, not as bright as the yellow brass, and not as dark as the sterling silver.
    Last edited by gglassmeyer; 01-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    Greg Glassmeyer

Pianissimo User

I'd second glassmeyer's comment--Conn was not excellent for a long time. I've never played a Vintage 1, but the Conn horns that were around when I was in my formative years were not something that were recommended to a serious student.

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: why not Conn

The 38B's were all the rage in the 50's and into the 60's. The 60B's were one of the first super horns along with the Severinsen's and the early Silver Flairs. one of these days I would love to pick up a decent 60B. Back in high school I heard a section equiped with them at a dance band clinic and it left a lasting impression on me. What a sound!
    I wouldn't just go on one dis, best thing to do is try one out for yourself and form your own opinion. Even Bach has had it's share of problems in the Strad line in recent years. Have him try different makes and get the one he feels is best for him...........Buck
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Thread Information