Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Why we NEED band teachers ... in the General forums; See? More proof. You were in band, have a 4.0 and were class valedictorian. Stick it to them! Bet those ...
    Fortissimo User
    See? More proof. You were in band, have a 4.0 and were class valedictorian. Stick it to them! Bet those coaches didn't have scholastic averages like that!

"Do not go gentle into that good night".

Mezzo Piano User
    Thank goodness, here in North Dallas we have the Richardson Independent School District. RISD funds the arts very strongly, along with athletics and academics. They're just putting some finishing touches on some bond issue projects, like artificial turf for the stadium (the good kind, we had it before the Cowboys) and a big band/orchestra wing added onto the school building. In Texas, RISD is considered a "rich" district, sending a big hunk of its property tax money to other "poor" districts (an idea that hasn't worked).

My daughter will graduate in '05, but I'll keep praying that the attitude and funding stays in place. The music is great, with great performances of Rolling Thunder, Elgar's Enigma Variations and Graingers English Waltzes achieve Sweepstakes awards at UIL. These kids know what it takes to perform great music.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    Elgar's Enigma Variations
    Dave
    Number 9 is my particular fav. We played that for our spring orchestra concert down here. Beautiful piece.

Glad to hear of at least one district in north Texas that cares...
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Mezzo Piano User
    Timcates,

That's why I said get rid of the board members who are part of the problem since they decide who is "qualified" to make decisions when it comes time to make cut backs. Then cut the program if it is still not successful.

Aggie,

I understand your point. With the smaller schools it is extremely difficult to "compete" for participation of the students due to their numbers. That's where BD's need to make their program look more inviting, IMHO.

Hey dcstep,

You wouldn't happen to know any of the teachers out in Mesquite? I went to high school with one of them. His name is Scott.

Take care all!
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Mezzo Piano User
    I played 2d trumpet in the Mesquite Symphony for several years, years ago. The name "Scott" doesn't ring a bell. Do you have a last name and what instrument he plays?

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Mezzo Piano User
    His name is Scott Patricia and he plays trombone. He's a pretty big guy so he would be hard to miss. I believe this was his first year teaching in Mesquite. We grew up around the corner from each other down in Gregory-Portland.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Mezzo Piano User
    No Mike, I wouldn't know Scott. I left the Mesquite Symphony in about 1993 and Scott hasn't shown up at www.dcjb.com so far as I know.

Does he know rock, funk and soul? The PitPops www.pitpops.com occasionally have a bone sit in. Scott might enjoy seeing us and maybe sit in later, if he knows our stuff. I also know some other directors in Dallas, Allen, McKinney and other nearby schools that might like to meet him and/or have spots in gigging bands if he's looking for that (and has time).

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

New Friend
    Going off on a tangent from the direction of the discussion, the title "Why we need band teac hers" triggered a deeply felt response. In the fifties, I was among the most fortunate of band students to have played under the best teachers possible. Mel Nixon and George Kizer in high school, and James Nielson in college. Even though I quit playing ( the subject of a very long, sad story for another time), for forty two years, I never lost the love of playing (just the lip), and finally came back. It took me a long time to realize that my teachers gave me much more than playing lessons. I owe most of what success in life I've had to these men. Both of my daughters played, and indeed one is now a band director. Hard to say what a sorry end I may have met without the influence of my band directors.

Best regards, John Creed

New Friend
    In some schools it's tough situation to even try and help the Music Dept.
    My wife and I formed an organization to help the Music Dept with the blessing of the Principal and the grudging acquiessence of the Chairperson of the Music Dept. She is a nice lady, but overly protective of her fiefdom, even towards those that just want to help. My wife and I formed an organization and with the help of other parents managed to raise enough money to by t-shirts for the marching band so we wouldn't have any more kids passing out on Memorial Day - we also provided cold bottled water for all the kids in the band, cheerleaders, color guard, kickline, etc. that marched in the parade. Yeah, it took hard work and was a general pain in the ass, but it was for the kids. We also provided bottled water at every home football game for the marching band and Certificates of Achievement for every graduating senior that participated in the music dept (including stage crew). Probably the most important item we accomplished was forcing the directors to honor the graduating ensemble members at their final concert by announcing their names and giving them a "bow". Ours is a Jr/Sr High School, so most of these kids have been in the program since 7th grade - with little or no "official" recognition.
    There are so many other projects we wished we could have institued or accomplished, but we were thwarted by "her majesty". Also, it seems that every year the new crop of parents coming into the school have less and less interest not only in the Music Dept., but in their children in general. My daughter (a percussionist) will graduate in June, ending our tenure at the school. My son (trumpet!) is currently finishing his 2nd year in college as a Jazz Performance major. I attribute much of their academic success (both honors students!) to their participation in the music programs (along with parental concern and death threats!!!). We lost our best band director, teacher and conductor at the end of last year
    (he became the District Music Supervisor for a neighboring school district),so I'm glad that it's coming to an end. I only wish that we had been allowed to leave a thriving organization behind to continue providing "extras" for the kids - I hope that some of the "traditions" we've started over the last 7 years will remain in place - especially those that provide some recognition for all the hard work these children put into their music careers at the school. I encourage all parents to get involved with your kids school - not only the Music Dept., but every aspect of their education - I know it sucks to have to go sell soda and candy after working all day, but the benefits to your children will be enormous - the more you care about their education, the more they will care (they'll show it reluctantly, but they WILL care). Get Involved!!! Stay Involved!!!

Mezzo Piano User
    What a shame, bjatt!! Thanks for trying.

A BIG part of our HS band's success is the partnership between the directors and band parents. The parents raise over $100,000 annually by sponsoring a DCI contest, making and selling mums at homecoming, running a silent auction at the jazz concert, etc., etc., etc. Much of the money helps pay for an annual trip, but much goes into instrument repair, certain instrument purchases, scholoships for the kids that can't afford the band fees (several hundred dollars per kid), building show props, air-conditioned coaches for certain competitions, a golf cart for the director, etc., etc.

It's a lot of work and 20% of the parents do 80% of the work, but it really elevates the band and the kids (for the most part) appreciate the support and effort. We've got one of the better parents' clubs around DFW, but we're not unique by any stretch.

Hopefully someone will pick up where you left off and gain the support of the new director.

Ciao,

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information