Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss widening the passageway in the General forums; I find that when I go from my medium bore Bb trumpet to my large bore Bb trumpet, and using ...
    Piano User

widening the passageway

I find that when I go from my medium bore Bb trumpet to my large bore Bb trumpet, and using the same mouthpiece in both, that I widen the air passageway of my lips to get a full sweet spot sound out of the Large Bore horn. Is anything wrong with this in terms of setting my embouchure?

Pianissimo User Leslie Colonello's Avatar

Re: widening the passageway

I'm going to jump in here first. You will get many opinions on this but here's mine. What you are doing has a technical name. It's called "playing your trumpet." Unless you can play two trumpets at the same time and need different apertures for each horn, what do you think is wrong with getting the optimal sound on the horn you are playing? Don't overthink this. I adapt my chops every time I play to find the sweet spot. I have no doubt I will be pilloried for such an UN-traditional approach, but all I do is play for a living, and you learn to adapt to what the horn gives you, and what the horn demands.
    You would care less about what other people think of you if you realized how seldom they do.

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Colonello View Post
    ... Unless you can play two trumpets at the same time and need different apertures for each horn...
    At the risk of posting this too many times (forgive me), I enjoy this and offer it for those who have not yet seen it:

Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by crowmanic View Post
    I find that when I go from my medium bore Bb trumpet to my large bore Bb trumpet, and using the same mouthpiece in both, that I widen the air passageway of my lips to get a full sweet spot sound out of the Large Bore horn. Is anything wrong with this in terms of setting my embouchure?
    It's not unreasonable that the resistance is different and you have to play each one differently. I prefer to use different mouthpieces in this case. I have one horn that blows really big, so I use a 28 throat on it... and a 26 throat on most of the others.

Tom
    Leslie Colonello likes this.
    Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

I do not believe that we have that control of our aperature! The lips open and close like a valve. That means that they are "together" before we place the mouthpiece. We exhale through the lips, they are blown apart and would stay apart if not for the resonance of our horn making them open and close sympathetically with the partial series of the horn. This requires only a gentle tension of the chops. We do NOT decide aperature. If we artificially keep the lips apart, no sound comes out. If the lips are too pressed together, we have no decent sound.

In my world, aperature is the RESULT of many factors. It is certainly not fixed as our lips are resonating at different frequencies and when playing more loudly, the lips move a greater distance between opening and closing.

A less efficient trumpet could cause us to work harder for the same note and volume. We have no way of knowing what our aperature is doing at any specific time.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

I like the word "aperature" for what I'm talking about. It's interesting how the "RESULT" of aperature is more organic in trumpet playing as apposed to the aperature of a camera lens.

Piano User

Beside throat size are there any other differences?

As pointed out, the result is what counts. Who cares what aperture you may have, what mouthpiece you use, as long as you get to make a beautiful sound, have decent register and are able to be consistent in your playing?

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Piano User

I have two horns: one is a medium large bore and one is a medium small bore. I use the same MP for both. The sound I hear from each horn is completely different, especially the vintage one with the medium small bore, because it has a unique sound of its own. I don't think so much about the " sweet spot " thing. I just play the music the best I can and enjoy the different sound each horn delivers. If I owned a large bore horn ( which I probably will eventually ) I'm sure my approach will be no different. But I am just a hobby player. So what do I know ?
    Manchester Brass Custom ( ACB ) RL-GB Bb Trumpet
    1952 Selmer Paris 21 Trumpet
    Bach TR300H2 Trumpet
    MPs: Curry 50TC , Bach 3C , 7C and 10 1/2C

Pianissimo User Leslie Colonello's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    I have two horns: one is a medium large bore and one is a medium small bore. I use the same MP for both. The sound I hear from each horn is completely different, especially the vintage one with the medium small bore, because it has a unique sound of its own. I don't think so much about the " sweet spot " thing. I just play the music the best I can and enjoy the different sound each horn delivers. If I owned a large bore horn ( which I probably will eventually ) I'm sure my approach will be no different. But I am just a hobby player. So what do I know ?
    You know plenty GeorgeB. You know to make the best music you can. That, in a nutshell is what we all strive for, hobby player or pro.
    RRVancil and GeorgeB like this.
    You would care less about what other people think of you if you realized how seldom they do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information