Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wisdom teeth.? in the General forums; Ok long story short. My wisdom teeth have been starting to come out. not much pain or anything. but there ...
    New Friend

Wisdom teeth.?

Ok long story short. My wisdom teeth have been starting to come out. not much pain or anything. but there they are.
    Im part of a youth orquestra and we are having a couple of concerts the last week of april. question is.
    Should I get my wisdom teeth removed right now. or should I wait until after the concerts"? why? Im leaning towards the latter.

Buffalo, NY

Re: Wisdom teeth.?

I will defer to any dentist type experts, but my advice is get them out now. My husband just had his removed, (he's 60 years old). It was a breeze, he was back to playing in a few days and had healed in a week.

New Jersey

I still have mine, (the three that came in) they cause me no problems.

Stan J.

What is to reach the heart must come from above. If it does not, it will be nothing but notes, body without spirit.
    --Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is God's best gift to man. The only art of heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven.
    --Letitia Elizabeth Landon

Pianissimo User

Wait till after the concerts - get it done over the summer.

It varies person to person and recovery time mostly depends on how impacted they are. I had all four of mine out at once and couldn't think about touching a trumpet for a month. They basically had to break my jaw in 4 places to get the teeth out. On the other hand, entrancing1's husband's teeth probably just required some pliers to yank out and he was good to go the next day.

So, as with almost any question you could ask about trumpet playing, the answer is "it depends" :-p

Los Gatos, CA

HI, Prince!

I think that if you are not having any acute problems with your wisdom teeth, I'd recommend that you wait until after your concert season is over to have them removed. (Of course, that begs the question: "Why are they being targeted for removal?")

I also have all four of my wisdom teeth, despite one dentist who wanted to remove them on general principles. (and a big mouth, too, or so I'm told! ) My current dentist, also a trumpet player, has all of his and is glad to see that I was also able to keep mine.

My wife, on the other hand, also a trumpet player, had rather crooked teeth when we were married, and decided to have orthodontia (braces) at age 38 or so. To accomplish this, her orthodontist had hers removed. She had pain for a week or so, but kept on playing, trooper that she is! You might want to avoid that if you can wait until later in the year.

Good luck with your mouth!!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

Thread Information