Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wisdom Teeth Recov. in the General forums; What can I do to speed up the recov. time. Band camp starts monday, and I know I wont beable ...
    New Friend

Wisdom Teeth Recov.

What can I do to speed up the recov. time. Band camp starts monday, and I know I wont beable to play by then. I got my wisdom teeth out thursday. I really Need your help!

Thanks, Andrew Platta
    Primary horn:
    French Besson Classic
    Secondary Horn/Marching Horn:
    Bach Strad 43 Reverse Leadpipe
    Third Horn:
    Bach Tr200s

Mouthpeieces:
    Bach Megatone Gold 3C
    Bach Megatone 3C

Pianissimo User
    The best thing you can do is be patient. Should you attempt to start playing too early, it could result in painful results and a prolonged recovery time.

Different people take different amounts of time to heal. Hopefully, you have a teacher you can trust who can help you through this. You can also consult with the oral surgeon; telling the surgeon that you play trumpet, and asking when would be a good time to start back.

I know it can be difficult, especially with band camp about to start, but please: Don't rush it!

joey

Pianissimo User
    I was in the exact same situation some 20 odd years ago. Joey's right, be patient and don't rush it.

I felt good enough to start playing at band camp a week after my surgery. I figured with my trusty bottle of anbesol, no worries. Well, after the first high F, I emptied my waterkey and it came out bright red.

Back to the dentist to get restitched...popped 'em all on the right side of my mouth. The anbesol didn't let me feel the pain that might have caused me to stop playing.

Wait until you are completely healed.

Pianissimo User
    Also I dont want to scare anyone but a dental school friend of mine told me that you can form a blood clot from the pressure in your mouth from playing and if by chance it gets into your blood stream then you could suffer a brain anyurism which are sometimes fatal.
    This is a very severe case but why take the chance before you totally heal. The military band makes people wait to play for 3 weeks after a wisdom tooth procedure.... I am not in the military but also have trumpet playing friends there too.
    Just a thought I'd pass on.....Wait a few weeks before you play again.... Then start back with building your endurance slowly. By taking these 3 weeks off you'll never have to worry about doing it again!

-Cory-

Fortissimo User
    The real problem with trying to play too soon after a wisdom tooth ( or any molar) extraction is called "dry socket". That happens if the pressure of playing blows the clot OUT of the socket and results in the possibility of exposed jawbone. Now THAT is a real bummer.

When I had my wisdom (teeth) removed I was told to just hold a tea bag (clenched between the jaws) over the extraction site. It seemed to work OK. BUT... previous posters are correct: do not try to play too soon (about a week off the horn?) and then don't try to play too hard or too loud (maybe another week). Trumpet camp be darned... if you end up with a dry socket you'll be losing weeks or possibly even months of trumpet time should the result be a jaw infection.

New Friend
    Thank you everyone!!!!! I am section leader and I'm gonna go to band camp and Help the freshman in my section...not goning to play. I want to thank you guys. Any suggestions that could just speed the heal time up?
    Primary horn:
    French Besson Classic
    Third Horn:
    Bach Tr200s

Mouthpeieces:
    Bach Megatone Gold 3C
    Bach Megatone 3C

Pianissimo User
    There's really not much you can do to speed the process of healing. The mouth is a really unique and nasty place. It stays warm, moist, and is full of bacteria...not the ideal place for wound healing.

Tootsall is right. Do all you can to avoid the dry socket...that is real pain!

PS. Avoid racket ball courts also. Popped the stitches on the other side when my doubles partner (cute girlfriend at the time) whacked my jaw (accidentally) with her racket. Restitching is not fun...avoid at all costs.

New Friend
    I get my stiches out wednesday:)
    Primary horn:
    French Besson Classic
    Third Horn:
    Bach Tr200s

Mouthpeieces:
    Bach Megatone Gold 3C
    Bach Megatone 3C

Pianissimo User
    Good luck Andrew
    "Forever you are with us forever you are strong, forever you are with us forever and ever." - Forever by Michael W. Smith

New Friend
    I know this might sound strange!!! I played today!!! It was amazing! No bleeding at all. I got them out last thursday. I told my band director that if I felt pain I would stop. I felt no pain!! It was GREAT!! I get my stiches out tommorow. I am really excited. I took it really ez at first I tried not to strain. And it all payed off!!! I am just amazied that I was able to recover so quickly. I think im not done.
    Primary horn:
    French Besson Classic
    Third Horn:
    Bach Tr200s

Mouthpeieces:
    Bach Megatone Gold 3C
    Bach Megatone 3C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information