Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wisdom tooth removal-Seat auditions, what to do??? in the General forums; I need to get my upper and lower wisdom teeth removed (both sets of teeth are impacted). It takes two ...
    New Friend

Wisdom tooth removal-Seat auditions, what to do???

I need to get my upper and lower wisdom teeth removed (both sets of teeth are impacted). It takes two or so weeks to recover, I believe. But I have a problem:

In two weeks I also have auditions for chair placement for the rest of the year in my Jazz Ensemble.

The last thing I want to do is get my wisdom teeth out and be unable to play trumpet, then walk in and be unable to play in auditions. At the same time, I don't want to risk ruining my mouth because I don't get my teeth removed.

The next time I'll be able to have a chance to remove these wisdom teeth is probably around late December.

Should I have my teeth removed now, or wait until after the auditions?

Thanks very much.

New Friend

Re: Wisdom tooth removal-Seat auditions, what to do???

It is never a good time to get your wisdom teeth out, I had the same problem last year. I would wait but if you feel worried about your wisdom teeth then do it now.
    Coueson Model Depose
    Bach Stradivarius 37(1980)
    Yamaha Flugel YFH-2310

Marcinkiewicz Concert Hall Model B1 (Bach 1x)
    Marcinkiewicz Artist Model 3E/3C

a couple of things you should never forget:
    everyone has an agenda - including your dentist. The wisdom teeth can be impacted, but do not necessarily have to be an immediate problem.

The agenda of the ensemble is the best possible music. If they consider you an asset, then you get your chair anyway. If they don't care and just go by the audition results, then the situation is clear

Your agenda has to be what is best for you. Health is ALWAYS at the top of the list. Your wisdom teeth may not be an immediate health problem however.

Now you just need to set your own priorities. I still have all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth and am 53. I have successfully ignored my dentists advice for many years as the x-rays have NEVER shown a real problem that would endanger my other teeth. That my or may not apply to you.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

It took me a month - a full 30 days - before I could play above the staff after getting mine out. And even then, there was still some pain but I was pretty sure at that point I wasn't going to do any damage.

I know some people have claimed to be back playing again within a couple days, but it really depends on how impacted the teeth are.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't have them out at the beginning of the summer, so you'd have more time to recover. You might want to ask your dentist if it would be possible to put it off till next summer. You also might consider calling the conductor up and telling him about the situation, and seeing if you can just play the bottom part for the Fall and then re-audition for Spring semester.

Pianissimo User
    Elmira, NY

Are the teeth merely impacted or is there another specific problem attributable to them?

As a dentist, I can say that not all impacted teeth need to be removed. I can't make a diagnosis over the internet, but ask your dentist if he foresees an immediate problem if the teeth are not removed.

The most common reasons that an impacted wisdom tooth would need immediate removal would be, first, if it has partially erupted & the flap of gingiva, the operculum, still covering a portion of the tooth is being traumatized in the bite and becoming repeatedly infected, i.e. pericoronitis. Secondly, if the tooth is partially erupted it can decay and need to be extracted for that reason.

If neither of these situations have occurred, then there are 2 longer term problems to consider. If the tooth is not fully impacted in bone, but is merely lying under the gingiva, a pocket can be created behind your second molar that creates a hygiene issue & may contribute to decay on the back of your second molar in an area that can be very hard to restore. If the wisdom tooth is a full boney impaction then the concern is that over time a cyst can form around the tooth & weaken the jaw. This is relatively uncommon and is also a slowly evolving condition. Regular visits and radiographs can catch this fairly early and allow timely treatment if it occurs. Extraction for either of these reasons could be safely deferred at present.

With all that said, the reason your dentist may be encouraging you to get the wisdom teeth out now is that, in general, the younger you are when they are taken out, the easier they are to remove & the quicker the recovery time. This is partly due to being more resilient when younger & partly due to the teeth being easier to remove before the roots have fully formed. My assumption here is that you are in your teens or early twenties.

Let your dentist know about your problem with the proposed extractions and if it is not something that needs to be addressed immediately there should be no problem with rescheduling to December. If you're still unsure, you can always ask for a copy of your radiographs and seek a second opinion.
    Last edited by EricMGB1974; 08-14-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarification/expansion

Thread Information