Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wooden Mouthpiece in the General forums; I was just wondering what a trumpet would sound like when played with a wooden mouthpiece. Has anyone made one? ...
    Pianissimo User
    Upstate Ny

Wooden Mouthpiece

I was just wondering what a trumpet would sound like when played with a wooden mouthpiece. Has anyone made one? I think that it might be a good way way to experiment cheaply with different mouthpieces. Any thoughts?
    There is nothing to it. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.

---Johann Sebastian Bach---

Denton, TX

Re: Wooden Mouthpiece

I know some guys out there make wooden bell attachments for Picc trumpets. But as for mouthpieces my guess would be that wooden ones would be a bust. The way I think of it is that a heavier mouthpiece gives you a denser, heavier sound so the opposite must hold true that the lighter the horn the brighter it plays. There might even be some physical limitations to how the wood reverberates compared to the brass ones.

"Always strive to be what you can be, don't settle to be what you are." - Dr. Bowman

There used to be a line of wooden mouthpieces... I don't know if they are still around or not. I believe the name was Benterfa or something similar to that. I never owned one but if I am remembering correctly they had a bit of a following.

Anybody else remember them? Maybe mid 90's???
    Scott Kelch

Adams A9 - large bore
    Adams A5
    Adams Custom Series gold brass/nickel Flugelhorn
    Olds Ambassador Tuning Bell OR Double Bell trumpet by SK Brassworks (that's me!)
    Olds Ambassador C Trumpet- SK Brassworks Conversion (That's me!)
    ACB "TA" series mouthpieces - Safari OVER!

I've never played with one, but I know it's supposed to give a warm and mellow sound. It's actually pretty expensive, but heres one place you can order: Page Title
    Monette 6
    Monette B6LDS

South Salem, NY

Frank Zottola made some. I have a few here. They do have a warmer sound, but are unreliable because they change characteristics as they absorb moisture. And they don't machine as cleanly as brass, which makes the backbore pretty dicey. Giles Whittombe in England was making mouthpieces out of bone/ivory. Wooden mouthpieces will not necessarily be cheaper than brass because the machining process is pretty much the same.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

How about a wooden bugle?

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I'd have to say the sound would depend a lot upon the wood selected. Possibly petrified redwood might be pretty good ???
    Well aged Australian ironwood? Just don't think balsa wood would be viable. Hygenic???

Piano User

From the Trumpet Herald thread on Trumpet Sections of Major Symphonies: Trumpet Sections of Major Symphony Orchestras - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

"Yigal my teacher is the first Israelien trumpet player to play principal in the IPO. and he's an amazing player.
    Before him Andrew Balio played principal. Andrew is an awsome player but I wont get to more personal stuff.
    Not here anyway. You can hear his great playing on Mahler's 6th symphony cd with Zubin and the IPO.
    Yigal studied with Robert Freer when Rob was playing Principal in the IPO. Yigal says Rob's a great player.
    Yigal studied with Jim Pandolfi, Phil Smith and Laurie Frink. I don't know who else.
    Hmmm.... Rob left because of the Gulf War.
    There was a guy played here for a few months. He used wooden mouthpieces.
    Not sure... But I think it was Stan Friedman. I know Friedman played in the IPO but I don't know if it was him.
    Ed Cord played in the IPO. hmmm.... who else.
    I'll look for more info about that." - Tal Katz
    Mit Kraft!

Pianissimo User

... I have always chosen not to agree.....

I am very fond of alternate materials... I play wood,titanium,stainless steel aluminium,and solid silver mouthpieces

I LOVE a horn with a silver bell

....and the concept for ALL of these materials is the same. Vibrational properties.....

I think people want wood to be softer because wood itself is softer than metal............ but I say it's NOT

wood has ,in fact LESS vibration and dissepation of sound the sound that goes into the horn is purer ,and hence STRONGER....

I feel I get a much fatter and warmer core with wood...hence it may APPEAR to be softer......but it's not!!!!

I have a large collection of wood pieces,so Id be willing to sell a Maurice Benterfa if anyones interested I'm not sure eactly what it is anymore,but it's betwen a 1 and a 1 1/2.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.

Out of interest, how much did the Benferta sell for? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information