Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Working Out???? in the General forums; "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well my experience with most trumpet players is that most of them are fat and can not get out ...
    Forte User

Re: Working Out????

Well my experience with most trumpet players is that most of them are fat and can not get out of the way of their own shadow. Anyone that suffering from weak third finger to the point that it is affecting their playing has serious issues. They tend to be girly mean and can not or will not change a tire on the side of the road to save their life let alone to get a phone number from a hot looking woman. They tend to suffer from two much thinking and not enough doing usually because they fear making a mistake."

Wow. And you accuse rowuk of having the "charcter" of a "porcipine"? Maybe you should have spent more time in the library and less in the gym...

Piano User
    New Jersey

Have you ever heard the old phrase, Practice what you Preach? I seem to remember you complaining about Rowuk doing some name calling. Saying that most trumpet players are fat and can't get out of the way of their own shadows seems just as bad, if not worse, than being told you're nuts.
    I think we're going to need a moderator soon!
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

Banned Mezzo Forte User

Ah - i think i see your larger-meaning Robin. Would you say more. By "some got it", you mean... (?) -As well, by "tradition", you mean the Music World seemingly supports... (?)

"I always find larger "deficits" amazing, considering all of the psychological "advances" that have been made. Perhaps it is the same as trumpet players over the centuries: some got it, many others didn't. Those that didn't seem to have made the most noise. That tradition is held upright even today. Maybe there is some room for sarcasm here?" -rowuk

While i don't feel the way l.v. does -where you speak from does have merit, obviously. When we're fit, we feel well: and this promotes a "confidence". Which can't ever fully express the sense of well-being, we can get from training. It's a shame a lot of people simply haven't yet come across adequate circumstance, that enables- the opportunities, to genuinely begin to appreciate the benefits of athletic-training. A lot has to go right for someone to find themselves able to actually enjoy lifting weights and doing cardio-work, or swimming, consistently.

And by circumstance: i mean, the only reason i started working-out to begin with, was so i could keep eating whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted, and not gain anymore weight. I was happy to walk around at 250 lbs., just so long as i didn't get any heavier. -Fact is, i often miss my fat belly. :) Nevertheless, my meaning is i was just very fortunate that i began to naturally off-set my poor appetites and bad habits, for better ones. I didn't do a thing to accomplish this, but for trying to continue eating like'a horse. And oddly enough, i eat a ton more food than i ever thought about before, but it's good fare now. Point is, i hated training when i was supposed to, or had to, that eventually got to a line of psychotic resentment!

-So much so, i chose not to pursue athletics professionally. (And i'm not tooting my horn, i'm just completely empathetic with people who just can not; and will not, tolerate burdensome projection of circumstance and environment, pinned on good-health strategy.) Regardless of apparent reward. Not that i came by my reactions then, from intellectual grumblings. I was just pissed off, and wasn't havin' it, no more. :) It's only dumb luck i find myself at the gym everyday now, and can't live without it.

Last edited by godchaser; 12-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.

fight fight FIGHT........ehm...sorry,only joking

Robert Slotte

Bach Model 43 Bb
    Yamaha 8310z Bb
    B&S Eb-Trumpet
    B&S D-Trumpet
    Gezen A/B piccolo

for lack of a better way to put it, the top musicians throughout the ages that "got it" were in tune with themselves and the job at hand. That is where their reputations came from. Those old masters withstood the test of time because their "voice" was special. I am sure that many had extracurricular activities to keep themselves in shape.

Today we have an infinite amount of marketing available and the most amount of noise where talent isn't at the top of the list. My personal (leaving out this word confused LV555 in my first post - I don't know him so can't comment on anything except posts) experience with trumpet plus jock shows that they make more noise than their talent would normally have paved the way for. The modern player that "gets it" also does what is necessary to take care of business. Make a list of the real TOP players today, fat does not seem to be a problem. Manny Laureano is Mr. Martial arts for instance. Bill Vacchiano, Tom Stevens, Bud Herseth, Gil Johnson, Hakan Hardenberger, Wynton Marsalis, Maurice Murphy, Doc............... the list goes on.

Naturally there are a couple of "exceptions" to the rule. Maynard Ferguson for instance, who was still able to clean up even to his late 70's. That sure qualifies as a full life.

So in the spirit of the thread - just get out and do it. There are free things as well as other methods. Like practicing the horn, it makes more sense once you get it. Then you don't need to talk about it!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Banned Mezzo Forte User

"Today we have an infinite amount of marketing available and the most amount of noise where talent isn't at the top of the list." "..trumpet plus jock shows that they make more noise than their talent would normally have paved the way for." -rowuk

I agree Robin. 'Marketing' and hype are real 'deficits' to overcome, despite the seeming 'advances' this brand of recogniton may contribute to a Player's career. Although, i suspect the savvy that a Player finds themselves, in rightly fostering and shedding these necessary pitfalls of marketing. -Are undoubtedly the same Players you speak of, that have lasted the test of time.

And i couldn't argue that it isn't reasonable that a majority of established Musicians have found, and understand the necessity of good living. Or finding a release, beyond Music, in maintaining their high level of play.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by lovevixen555 View Post
    Repetition works for anyone it is the lowest possible denominator for learning a new skill. I think the Armies of the world have proven that time and time again. From the time of the Romans all the way up through today repetition has ruled the day for learning a skill. In fact the better everyone knows their job and job of the rest of the guys around them the smoother things run in almost all jobs and work place environments.
    It does require skill to produce tones on the trumpet, but making music is not something that repetition provides. Repetition is great on an assembly line; is great for weight training, but there are an infinite number of ways to play a single note, let alone a phrase. There is the attack, the sustain, the decay and release parameters to the envelope, add to that dynamics, Klangfarben, intonation and balance and playing the trumpet becomes far more a mental than a physical exercise.

Very few people can learn a piece of music in one sitting.... I quit because my heart was not in it and I started to dread playing what everyone else wanted me to play as they wanted it played.
    Making music has always been and always will be a community activity, requiring people that listen and fit in with one another. Team sports are that way too.

do you give money to this board or are you a business owner that sponsors the board? You definately are not a people person so I would love to know how you got the job of a moderator?
    Robin got his job as Moderator because he knows the trumpet and knows music, and has consistently given good thoughtful answers and well considered opinions. (I don't know why they gave me the job, though!)

"A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

The Wide Brown Land

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    ..... (I don't know why they gave me the job, though!)

Don't sell yourself short VB, you and ROWUK provide a very different service to us - such is the nature of balance, and we as musicians have to learn balance. I, for one, take great interest in the posts and comments from you both - it gives me a clue about what I need to do musically, and an insight in different ways to treat others - my thanks to both of you.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information