Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The worst condition you've played in... in the General forums; Whats the wost conditions you've played in ! For me it was last year, (November) outside the Packer stadium (Green ...
    Manitowoc Wi.

The worst condition you've played in...

Whats the wost conditions you've played in !

For me it was last year, (November) outside the Packer stadium (Green Bay Wisconsin) for game day, we played outside for 3 hours at 10 Deg F. It was so cold my horn was dead, it would not vibrate and it took twice the air to get it going ! Holy Chapped lips !! We lost a butt load of elecronics and speakers that day due to the weather.

Pianissimo User

Re: The worst condition you've played in...

Marching band when it's 20 degrees out. Not as bad as yours but it still sucked.

Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada

Personally, moderately buzzed on Beck beer at an Oom Pah gig. The worst playing conditions were at a barn dance.
    We played in the barn recently cleared of critters and more precisely in the hay loft recently cleared of hay. Every breath brought in a nose and lung full of dust and dried cow poo. Then there were the mosquitoes, ahh summer in Manitoba.

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Pianissimo User

Marching band probably. It wasn't all that cold, maybe 30-40 Fahrenheit, but it was raining hard.

I used to play with a predominantly black funk band in Florida back in the 70s. We played clubs in the black ghettos of town all across the Southeast. One Saturday, I got a call for a last minute gig in Arcadia Florida, about a 4 hour drive away. So, beer went into the coolers, followed by ice, and we hit the road. This was in January.

We arrived in Arcadia and found the club which was a single story cinder block building with remarkably unremarkable features. Upon entering the club I noticed that EVERYTHING was made of cast concrete. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING -- the tables, chairs, bar, stage, floor, walls, ceiling....EVERYTHING!! I also noticed that it was approximately 34 degrees outside, and inside....there was no heat!

After we set up and waited for the crowd before beginning the first set, we noticed that, other than the 5 bartenders, nobody was in the club except us. Finally, one of the bartenders shouted "ya'll can go ahead and play". "Play for who, there's nobody here!", our singer replied. "Oh that's okay...they don't want to pay the cover, so they just dart in and out for drinks and to pee"

See, Arcadia is a farm community, and our audience that night were migrant farm workers, who are very poor. And that night we were joining them, because our money was coming from the door. I was beginning to get depressed.

So, off came the parkas and the party started.

I only remember a few things about that night --

-a cold room is even colder when all of its consituent parts are made from concrete

-I snorted a bunch of amyl nitrate during the gig (I'm not advocating this...I was young and it was the 70s....)

-I remember the cops coming to break up fights at least a dozen times (migrant workers, especially drunk migrant workers, are bad mofos)

-we all had to chip in to get gas to make it home...not from our pay, because there was none...out of our pockets

-the next week, I got a call from our leader asking if I wanted to go back to Arcadia. My response was to threaten to shoot him

in 1999, at Alicante Symphony Orchestra, after 13 unpaid months to musicians...
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

very nice Tiny,

I know exactly where Arcadia is, named after a cousin of mine Arcadia Allbritton. It is still as small today as it was then, and still full of migrant workers. Anyways, to my story.

I was a sophomore in H.S. and we were playing a show called "Arts Mania" at the Jacksonville Landing. This is a shopping complex on the St Johns River in Jacksonville. The buiding itself is a semi circle that creates an outdoor court for concerts where the stage backs right up against the river. The place holds 1500 and I bet everyone of 1500 was there. This show was in October every year, and it was usually freezing cold (50 or below, I am in Florida that's cold tome), and an added benifit this year was what seemed like HURRICANE FORCE WINDS. This was my first year of playing lead in the band, and we played some pretty big charts; Chuck Mangione, Maynard, alot of Mark Taylor stuff. I am not talking dummyed down stuff, most of the time studio charts.

Just as we start our opener "Brass Machine", a huge gust of wind comes; and guess who had forgotten to pin his music down?

All I can say is, I am glad my memory is good........
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Late 70s...

I was a "ringer" in the Deroit Police band.

We were playing the funeral of a police chaplain who was killed in the line of duty by a man the chaplain was trying to talk out of a bad situation.

The man was then killed by the police.

At the funeral in a bad part of Detroit, (in those day Detroit actually did have good parts) the crowd was getting very unruly and the pastor at the church did not help things. It got to where the band was dismissed and the three ringers were "covered" going back to the bus.

The next week we three ringers were offered firearm's training and were ordered to wear weapons anytime we played in police uniforms.

I tell you though, they had a killer big band in those days!
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Mays Landing, New Jersey

My worst gig would have had to have been an Easter Sunday sunrise service back when I was in college. I had a Salsa/Meringue gig the night before. Unfortunately, the gig happened to coincide with daylight savings time. As if it wasn't long enough, we had to play an extra set. Needless to say, my chops were pretty beat up. Couldn't sleep that night as the Church gig was a couple hours away from the night before. Did I forget to mention it was all piccolo trumpet? Played another service at 11. I just barely made it through. My chops are usually pretty solid, but that day, my lips felt like the open end of a whoopie cushion.
    Bob Miller

1955 Conn Connstellation 28B
    Bob Reeves 43/D/692

Piano User

The five presidential innaugurations I played during my time with the Marine Band. Nothing else I've experienced comes close!
    This year I look forward to watching it on TV with a nice glass of CC and ice!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information