Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BrotherBACH
  • 1 Post By Vulgano Brother
  • 1 Post By Tjnaples
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Worst timing possible in the General forums; A few days ago I've started to get a double buzz, and I don't see any visual damage on my ...

Worst timing possible

A few days ago I've started to get a double buzz, and I don't see any visual damage on my lips. They feel smooth and in good playing condition. I had a small flake come up from my bottom lip last week, and yes I am guilty of biting it off and destroying my bottom lip basically. But for the rest of that day till now it FEELS like the outer layer of skin that is supposed to vibrate just peeled off. I've had situations like this before and the lip heals with good water and some chap stick. It's been 3 days and right now, my lips feel very smooth and I'm keeping my self hydrated. I think if my lips needed to repair that outer layer of skin I would notice it because my bottom lip would get a little flaky in the middle of regrowing back the skin. So I don't think I literally did wipe out that outer layer of skin. The problem is when I play, I start to get a double buzz as soon as I feel the slightest fatigue. Normally when I am fatigue and my lips have been absolutely rigged and destroyed, I just get a nasty double buzz. In the staff, the c is where the buzz starts to happen. Normally I don't get a double buzz unless I am very very very tired and trying to just hurt my mouth, so getting a double buzz after a short song and a warm up is very strange. I can't find the problem! ..Worst part is I got a very important performance tomorrow. I know all I can do now is just pray and drink water. Leave some suggestions or personal experiences below for me, because I feel like first chair is the last thing I deserve to be after tomorrow.
    Practice as if you are the worst, play as if you are the best.

Re: Worst timing possible

OK. Sometimes "us" trumpet players can get neurotic about whether or not something related to our embouchure, lips, etc., are working. Things are going great then all of the sudden then they are not for one reason or another. Stress and its effects can just destroy our physiology and psychology. A week prior to my final concert of the year, I bit both the upper and lower lips, midway between the corners and center. They bites turned into huge swollen, bloody cankers. I was blow nothing but air as I approached the top of the stave. I was really scared because I have some exposed parts above the stave. The more scared I got, the worse it got. So, I expressed these concerns to my teacher. We chatted and just played some simple duets together to relax and he showed me that if I focused only on the music and not how I felt I could actually play. It work, and the concert went well. For the parts that I could not practice because I was blowing air, I played them on the piano and sang them so the rhythm and pitch would stay in my head until concert time. Some about being in the concert took my mind of "me" and how I felt. I just focused on the music and playing. My teacher who attended said that my parts came off very clear. One of the pieces was Pine of Rome which is not easy.

So, my advice is to go through your music. Sing your parts while to pressing the valves and let mother nature take its course.

ricecakes230 likes this.
    There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us.

Edward Wallis Hoch, Marion (Kansas) Record
    (1849 - 1925)

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Often the double-buzz comes as a result of too much vertical upwards motion on the part of the lower lip. Pulling it down a hair with the chin can sometimes help relieve the double-buzz.
    MiragePilot likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Dayton, Ohio

If you had not been up to the usual practice routine as the lip biting kept you from playing your typical rehearsal sessions, don't fret, it will come back in about 1-2 weeks. In the meanwhile, I would go with VB's advice listed above.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Piano User

Separate your teeth farther apart. Try a pinky width or just a bit less for starters. Stop immediately when you get the buzz, reset and go again. Adam Rapa helped with mine this way.
    MiragePilot likes this.
    Let your music paint with colors, textures, and passion! 

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet
    @TrumpetGamerGuy (Twitter)

Thread Information