Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Writing a personal list of playing faults/credits. in the General forums; This is probably one of those topics that won't get many replies. I can't say for sure. The posts that ...
    Banned Mezzo Piano User

Writing a personal list of playing faults/credits.

This is probably one of those topics that won't get many replies. I can't say for sure. The posts that typically get a lot of hits usually say something like:

"Great mouthpiece for high notes" or "I got my first Double C yesterday".

But say something like "make a catalogue of your assets and liabilities"? Probably won't generate much interest. Yet it is these common sense, boring topics that do the most good. My list:

Plays with conviction.

Good intonation.

Has much endurance

Good "shift" into the upper register.

A. Relies on the upper register "shift" too much. This makes some phrases and notes "gummy" or not well articulated particularly late in the evening when tiring. Needs to concentrate on developing those refined embouchure muscles and just get a piece of a note more often. Instead of blasting away as much as he does.

B. Relies on loud playing too much to carry the lead trumpet chart. Needs to back off a little more often in order to finish the gig with the same accuracy as he had early in the evening.

C. Doesn't practice enough general technical studies. Tends to rely on experience rather than maintenance and development of advanced skills. This causes tension on some exposed phrases in live concerts and rehearsals. Is doing more work than he needs to do on the job instead of developing a well grooved expertise in advanced technical issues.

(that one was hard to accept let alone admit)

C. Jazz improvisation adequate for his gigs but is far from being a dominant expressive artist.

There are more areas of liability and asset but these six or so characteristics are the ones that really count. By writing this account down I can devise easy to implement corrections. Hopefully anyway...

When i looked at the technical studies issue i considered that I ought to combine some jazz licks and scale routines into my warm up. I already know the Clarke book by heart. So why not take a set of Blue Mitchell type solo transcriptions and transpose into a half dozen keys? Play each one both slurred and tongued.

The "gummy" high note issue is important to deal with. What this is is when my chops get a little tired I start slurring up to say a High D, E or so instead of popping the thing dead on. If really tired this may even affect my first ledger line B natural and High C. Not a professional sound. So I ought to learn to get these notes without the "scream" tone. Just back off the bravado and hit 'em more like the classical cat does. Getting just a piece of the note without over blowing. That takes a little more practice.

Summary: I'm almost practicing enough but not conditioning as rationally as I could. With a few simple adjustments to the planning and execution of practice I ought to be able to play more accurately in the third and fourth sets of a demanding job. That and require less warm up at the beginning of a gig.

Glad to hear of your thoughts (but again i think that this will probably not be a post that generates much enthusiasm...)
    Last edited by Local 357; 09-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Heart of Dixie

Re: Writing a personal list of playing faults/credits.

I'll bite...

Nice tone

Can play double-tongued passages very fast

Plays with musicality

Good section player

Good listener while playing

Good sight reader

Good endurance

Can play many styles

Upper range isn't that great

Can't improvise worth a flip

My triple tonguing isn't fast enough

Sometimes nervous in public performances
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Pianissimo User

What does"relies on upper register shift" mean? Just curious,and for that matter, what is upper register shift?

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Dale, I just don't believe you really get nervous in public performance. If at best I get an adrenaline blast just before going on stage or podium that gives me the jitters, but first word or note, I'm like a steam locomotive just puffing along. Wait till you begin to move the trumpet to you lips and suddenly you note there is no mouthpiece attached. How long does it take for you to realize you put the mouthpiece in your pocket? It's happened to me twice that I recall. I've yet to stage the skit ala Charle Chaplin/Dick Van Dyke/Harpo Marx of such befuddlement, but I'm thinking a lot about it.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 09-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.

New York State USA

good command of the chromatics

nice even tone in all registers

have developed my "OWN" sound which is good for solo work

Have enough endurance for the 2 hour concerts

I am a team player (trying to inspire my fellow band members to be better, and encourage them even as they are aging and losing abilities) after all WE ALL PROVIDE SOMETHING POSITIVE SOMEWHERE IN THIS LIFE!!!

tend to actually be "slower" in pace -- (I mean trumpeters are supposed to alway rush stuff -- I drag it down a bit)

tend to look for "approval" of other musicians - instead of being confident in my abilities

Tend to prefer to play in a group - instead of WANTING, CRAVING, and DESIRING solo work (and yet everyone wants me on stage -- "all alone" to play

Tend to get "real" jittery on stage -- have to constantly remind myself to FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

Can't remember songs no matter how many times I played those things -- and that is frustrating

can't assess my abilities that well --- because I ALWAYS KNOW THAT I CAN BE BETTER --

can't seem to count that well on tricky rhythms -- of course, I figure I am right -and all the other trumpet players are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG --- and YET, I can't decide if this attitude is an asset, or a liability -- but I keep encouraging those other trumpet players to use a metronome when they practice (if they practice) -- I amuse myself with my hysterical comments --- not sure if that is good or bad either --- BUT I ALWAYS LAUGH AT MY JOKES!!
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 09-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Huntsville, Texas

I have always loathed this exercise but one of my lesson teachers makes me do it.

Balanced tone

Can split lead

Low register powerhouse

Plays well with others

Solid improviser

High range could be more

Endurance can be an issue

Blends too much, and has problems dominating a section

Not a good sight reader

Unfamiliar with some keys

It does seem weird to have lead as an asset and liability. My reliable, all the time range is only a D now and i OWN all those notes, sometimes I get an odd E in there but I never count on it. And as far as endurance, that is due to a recent embouchure shift after an accident, I'm usually only good for a two hour set. I work on range, endurance, and various keys every day though, but it's still not great. Cutting is a serious issue and I have a hard time grasping the idea of coming out of the section, which stinks because I love improving.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    What does"relies on upper register shift" mean? Just curious,and for that matter, what is upper register shift?

Good question. Probably something easier known than explained. My college prof explained it to me personally with these words:

"you're playing everything above the staff in the shift. Those forward puckered out muscles that allow phenomenal volume. This is a tremendous asset but its all you've got. You have no back up of facial muscles at all. This makes your tone in the middle register largely unmusical and your upper register of little value outside of rock music or big band lead. And your lead playing will fail as you have no reserve energy"

Harsh but true. What still kicks in my craw some 38 years after first hearing that brilliant man's truthful observation is that there exists today (within myself) some of that very same playing deficit.

My explanation of the "shift":

I let go of my center chops above the staff and BLOW LIKE HELL. The action nearly reverse of everything played below the staff. It is a condition largely useless in classical music as the tone is far too loud. Initially when i started playing this way (1971 or so) I thought I was doing something wrong. But this was not the case.

The shift is an asset. Not quite the advantage the dry lip players get who play easy Double C's but with a good solid shift i can usually play with a far louder tone than they do. The main problem (if it is a problem) is that it is a bitch of a time playing above the High G. I can do it and even am improving. But the A natural feels a mile higher than the G.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Local 357; 09-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Banned Mezzo Forte User

Strong player, even when wrong
    Good high range but I am no wailer into the stratosphere
    Good sight reader
    Extremely fast single tongue, faster then most double tongues
    Good tone, very broad and I can change the color of the tone easily

Poor pedal range and low register always flat
    Slow triple tongue
    Bad improv player
    Gets real nervous with a solo break in a jazz chart or song
    Sometimes too strong of a player and tends to stick out of the section too much
    Swing is just not my style
    Playing in musical/brodway songs with abnormal key signatures, I tend to always be a half step off

I really tried to scrutinize myself here, really point out my bad qualities.

But as I say, and people have said before.

You can always improve, everyone can. Doesnt matter if you started playing yesterday or you are paid big bucks to play your horn!

Strong lead player.

Good improv skills.

Know how things work (air lips, tongue).

Always on time.

Poor classical skills.

Bad practice habbits, often in a big chair or lying down at the couch while watching TV.

HATE to play ballads (Moonlight Serenade is the absolute worst).

Not so good at sight reading chords.
    Jon Petter

Inderbinen Alpha and Inderbinen Studie
    Monette Prana B6 S1 82
    Monette Prana B6L S1 82

CarolBrass QT Custom (quartertone)

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

"I'm hungry and need something to e
    at!" (a hungry) -Dizzy Gillespie

Forte User

decent sight reader
    blends very well with what ever section I'm playing with
    supportive of other players
    have a decent "clear" tone
    have been told by a very good player that I have " a big fat lead sound"
    always early or on time

range on the job ends at Eb above high C
    endurance isn't what it used to be
    don't ask me to improv.
    am my own worst critic
    stage fright hits at the worst times
    don't care for show offs [especially if they aren't really that good]