Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wynton Controversy in the General forums; See, that just goes to show you....
    See, that just goes to show you.

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseone2 View Post
    Wynton played a Bach/Schilke Eb on the Haydn Concerto. The cadenza is insane.
    I remember that, I was in grad school at the time, and I thought, wow, my teachers couldn't do that! Not to mention anyone else I'd ever heard either, down to that pedal Eb.

Michael McLaughlin

np: Bears walloping San Francisco
    Morelia MM

I bow my head in the presence of either Wynton or Doc...and many, many other gifted players, composers, artists.

Some people seem to loathe Wynton because of his views on different kinds of jazz. IMHO we still have much to learn from him regardless of whether you agree with him or not. You don't have to accept everything about Wynton as a package. I believe Herbert Clarke once stated that jazz was "devil's music" but that doesn't make his studies useless. I believe Jon Faddis still works out of Technical Studies...
    Bach Stradivarius 180/37
    Bach 1.5C

"I built my staccato like the piano; low register with the warmth of the cello; lyrical melodies like the violin; running notes like the clarinet" - Maurice André

Quote Originally Posted by 22925H View Post
    You guys can wait 50 years. Or just face the facts. Wynton is the best all around trumpet player to have walked the face of this earth.

Yeah right!

New Friend
    Wynton is a fabulous trumpet player, no question about it, but you have to consider Doc Severinson, who in my opinion is one of if not the most versatile trumpeter ever. Wynton doesn't have Doc's range or power, and I don't think Wynton cuts Doc in technicle virtuosity either. Wynton on the other hand is a better pure jazz player than Doc. You also have to consider Al Vizzutti. He has all of the classical stuff together as well as the jazz and lead trumpet things as well. He's also an excellent composer. I backed him up a few years ago in Alaska and he's every bit the unbelievable trumpeter/musician/composer. To be a giant in jazz I think you have to make a signifigant change or addition to it. Wynton is a fine artist and extremely versatile and I like his playing but unless he breaks new ground and brings new and younger musicians with him he doesn't qualify as a giant. Louis, Diz, Miles and Duke created new pathways and brought new and young talent to the forefront such as Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane, Freddie Hubbard, Chick Corea just to name a few. Maynard produced whole bands if you added up all the muscians who were showcased by playing with him. Stan Kenton is another one who created new musical approaches. Wynton is more of a historical preservationist and educator. Not to diminish this because it is greatly needed given the sad state of so-called modern or commercial music. He has made an impact but he is not a giant at least not yet.

New Friend

Re: Wynton Controversy

...I think Wynton has done much towards re-newing interest in Jazz (I saw him on the Grammys play the Haydn or Hummel and then turn right around and play Jazz in the early 80's) in the last 25 years now that he's been on the scene....with appearances on Carson, 60 minutes, and many other shows earlier in his career he's given Jazz exposure that it hadn't had in quite some time before that point......he obviously is a great trumpeter and he's done much for Jazz to whether or not he's a Jazz might want to listen to the Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan and countless others....the true essence of what they played....not how many high notes or how great or not one thinks their technique is/was...but the real JAZZ.........and THEN judge for themselves.
    -Tom Williams

Bangkok, Thailand

Re: Wynton Controversy

While I can't claim to know the name, I did get to talk with him on the phone for over an hour once. I called him to invite him to ITG 05. John Faddis was kind enough to give me his private number, and he answered his own phone.

I found him to be a warm, clever conversationalist, who was genuinely and deeply interested in talking with me. I've seen him in concerts many times, on tv hundreds of times, and have most of his recordings. I'm also quite familiar with the controversy he generates in differenct circles, but none of that matters to me.

He was a great guy to talk with, and I bet he would be a great guy to crack open a cold one with, and talk about the Saints - Browns game, or what have you.

To each their own. I will listen to Wynton play and be happy to hear a great player and musician play the trumpet like few can, and others can listen to him to fuel their own agendas.

Peace out!
    Joe Bowman
    College of Music, Mahidol University
    Bangkok, Thailand

Visit the ITG Youthsite!!
    Yamaha Performing Artist

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information