Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players in the General forums; I think that wynton marsalis is the best trumpeter of all time in jazz and classical. Who do you think ...
    New Friend

wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players

I think that wynton marsalis is the best trumpeter of all time in jazz and classical. Who do you think the greatest trumpet player of all time that is/was the best in both jazz and classical work? Who is better than wynton in your opinion?
    Last edited by Monette84; 07-12-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: messed up

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players

Quote Originally Posted by Monette84 View Post
    I think that wynton marsalis is the best trumpeter of all time in jazz and classical. Who do you think the greatest trumpet player of all time that is/was the best in both jazz and classical work? Who is better than wynton in your opinion?
    That's your opinion....... Wynton is a fantastic player. Lee Morgan was a fantastic player. Diz was a fantastic player. Doc is a fantastic player. Maurice is a fantastic player. Tommy Stevens is a fantastic player. Arban was a fantastic player.....and what about Valentine Snow? His name alone does it for me.
    There is no good, better and best in art........they are ALL GREAT.
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

thank you oh wise one... lol... many people say that wynton doesnt feel emotion... i would disagree, however there is one thing that i dont like about his style, and thats that he seems to be so good that when he solos (improv), i just dont feel it the same way i do when i hear other players like Diz and co... he is so accurate that is bugs me... yes i agree with wiseone... they are all great, and i have to say that i love Wyntons sound, and every thing about him, the only thing that bugs me is his soloing... even in that vid on you tube when he is soloing over Cherokee circular breathing, and playing insane runs and slurring, there is something about it that is just to good... ive never seen him mess up... even in the video when he is improv battling with that spectacular trombonist out his window... i dont get it... now you listen to miles, maynard and others, and you hear humanity... when you listen to wynton...? idk... one piece i like tho that is showy and just hilarious is zig zag by allen vizzutti... sorry... listen to it... its fun... that shows off allens skill... and if you want to see it, i think there is a video of him doing like 5 octaves in 8 seconds... and this guy plays on yamahas.... these men are all great, but my preferences are the players who are less know, the guys in the big bands who can solo like crazy... thats my opinion, if you can solo, youre top in my book...
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Mezzo Forte User

I think Wynton himself could defeat the Pittsburg Steelers and the Pittsburg Penguins, himself, at once, in one game. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstul View Post
    I think Wynton himself could defeat the Pittsburg Steelers and the Pittsburg Penguins, himself, at once, in one game. So there.
    haha... i never said he couldnt do that... just said he couldn't mess up...

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Wynton is human. I have seen him sweat. I have also seen his dedication to the music.
    He was my assistant on one of the Brooklyn Philharmonic tours. That means he got to play a couple tough works sitting in the hot seat. Some of the Prokofiev piano works will make you sweat.
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

I of course have not had the honor of seeing his dedication first hand, but i dont doubt it ive read his book, and i dont doubt his skill... he is the reason i love trumpet, every thing he does is great... its just his improv... he is an amazing artist, but i just dont get him...

It's not emotionless, he is just such a brilliant player that the horn doesn't impair his ability to express whatever he is feeling.
    Listen to Live at the Village Vanguard Disc 7. If you don't get out of your chair and start saying 'amen' then II can't help you. That is some of the most emotional playing on record.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Mezzo Forte User

All I know is I was working in the wood shop, cranking "Unforgivable Blackness" and I had to put the tools down and I just lost it in dance(jammin!). Then, I looked out the window, outside, there is my wife!...; could here the music, and she was dancing, too, with my younger son, outside!
    It was so joyous,and goofey!!!! One of those moments I'll never forget!

Oh, which song was it? "Jack Johnson Two-Step", lucky for me it's less than two minutes long!

I would highly recommend this "Unforgivable Blackness" album, I LOVE it.
    Last edited by Bachstul; 07-12-2009 at 11:33 PM.

I guess the thread owner has some research to do. Claiming that any one player is best just shows a lack of education.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information