Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Xeno in the General forums; Hey Everyone, I was just wondering what everyone's impression is of these Xeno Trumpets? I tried one and loved it, ...

Xeno

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone's impression is of these Xeno Trumpets? I tried one and loved it, then another, then another. They all seemed to be identical. I was just wondering what the general con-census was.

Peace
    Eric
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

New Friend

Xeno

I have been playing a Xeno 8335RG with Shotblast laquer fininsh for @ 5 months. It's a great horn for all-around play. And it looks cool too! I used to own a Xeno 8335RGS that was silver plated. Once again, great horn. When I bought the RG, I was also considering the 8335 Xeno with standard leadpipe in laquer. At times I wonder how I would be enjoying it vs the RG I ended buying in it's place. Answer: I would have loved it too. Yamaha makes great horns. They are very consistent one to the next. The quality of workmanship is always right on. Their quality control department must be made up of the pickiest, most meticulous people on the planet! What a group of anal retentive perfectionists they must be! They make a tremenous product. I have owned and played several of their horns including a fantastic 6310Z. I could go on and on. Get yourself a Xeno and enjoy the ride.
    If you like a little more open blow and slightly warmer tone quality, go with the RG or RGS. They have reverse tuning slides and play with a little less resistance. The RG in laquer plays a little more warmly than the RGS. I use it with great success in a brass quartet and quintet at my church. The 2nd trumpet in our quartet/quintet plays a very nice Bach Strad 37. We blend very well together. Obviously your choice of mouthpiece will also determine the sound and resistance you get. The 8335 Xeno has a standard tuning slide and provides a little more resistance. In general, if you prefer larger diameter mouthpieces with larger throats and deeper cups, I'd go with the standard Xeno. If you play smaller mouthpieces that are a little tighter and shallower I'd go with a RG or RGS. Obviously, it's personal preference. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with a Xeno. Absolutely fantastic horn! (Sorry, I keep repeating myself, but I can't help it!) :)

Mezzo Piano User
    Listen to Mark, buy the Xeno.
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

New Friend
    hey, let me tell you something,if you are going to but a trumpet, do yourself a big favor, buy a Xeno!

Fortissimo User
    If you are going to "but a trumpet", make sure you wear a helmet!!!

Sorry man.... de debil made me say it.

New Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall
    If you are going to "but a trumpet", make sure you wear a helmet!!!

Sorry man.... de debil made me say it.
    don't be mean

Ok, does anyone want to tell me the major differences between the 8000 series? The reason I ask is because the dealer I am dealing with is out of stock and has to order some. I just done't know what horns to look at.

I play Jazz, Orchestral, quintet, combos, concert bands, and solo stuff.

Thanks
    eric[/list]
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Piano User
    It's really tough to say what horn would work well for you because they can all effectivly be used in each situation. It more depends on what works for you as a player.

Do you prefer large bore or medium large? Large bore can generally get a little louder and may be more free blowing, if that's what you like. Any experience with reverse leadpipe? Some people feel these increase resistance while others feel it lessens it. It's generally accepted that they make inntonation more accurate. How do you feel about gold brass or yellow brass bells? Gold has a little richer, warmer, sound and yellow is a little brighter and arguabley more stable in response. Finally lacquer generally darkens a horn(though some feel it stiffles the instrument) and silver tends to brighten(though it's really a more natural finish to put on a brass instrument).

The RGS is a great all round buy but there's nothing wrong with a 8335S or a 8345G. They're all really excellent trumpets. It it helps at all the 8335S is basically a direct competitior to the Bach 37, the RGS is pretty much a Schilke S32, and the rest a variations on a theme. You should really also consider the Bobby Shew model 8310Z. It's a great horn and is NOT just for jazz. It's Jen's Lindemann's priamry Bb. Actually, he plays a 6310Z but the new horn's even better!

Pianissimo User
    The 8000 series were made in 2000 ish. They are now replacing the 6000 series. The only nock i have ever heard was by my private my lesson teacher. He said they were great but that because they were easy blowing the sound is abit harder to shape(moving between generas) but all I do is concert and jazz so no need for much shaping. Over all they are a great horn and I recommed them I have had mine for 5 years and see no reason to switch.

ANDREWWK
    Jon

The key to happiness is self-delusion -Dogbert

That has long been knock on Yamaha horns. They are very constant. Hard to "color" perhaps, but play with great warmth and intonation. A member of our local band did quite a search for a new trumpet. He loved the Xeno. (He had great things to say about the Kanstul 1500A too).

Horns are different. The World Champion Cavaliers drum corps won this summer playing Xeno trumpets. It would not be my pick for on the field, but they made them work for them. A horn is a match between player and horn. I sell Kanstul -- and many times that is the right match. But many times it is another horn. It makes the trumpet world a wonderful place. I don't think you (or anyone) would regret a Xeno.

Might not be the best choice for screaming or for the field. But for all around playing, they are outstanding horns.

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information