Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Y'all ready f' dis? (NEW GAME) in the General forums; I've been sitting here doing some practicing and came up with a new game!( If you want to check out ...
    Utimate User

Y'all ready f' dis? (NEW GAME)

I've been sitting here doing some practicing and came up with a new game!( If you want to check out some of my other games and diversions for improving while practicing do a search with me as author and the subject as "game"... that should do it).

Here's what you do:

To improve your tone clarity and tonguing grab a metronome and your horn.

Set the metronome to 100 to the quarter note beat (crotchet).

Play a chromatic scale from low F# up one octave and back down in 16ths(semi-quavers) to the quarter note beat.

Now, set the metronome to 101 and do the same thing except you're going to start on low G. After you do that scale play the F# chromatic scale after only resting two beats.

Set the metronome to 102, play a chrom. scale starting on Ab the same way, up and down. Add the two other scales (G and F#).

Continue this pattern of quickening the metronome pace and adding higher scales until you get to 111 equals the quarter note. You should be playing 12 scales starting on middle F to F to middle F and ending with low F# to F# to low F#.

After you rest about 5 or 10 minutes play something in the middle register and tell me it isn't clearer and freer (why isn't that spelled freeer?).

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    HAH!!! Something else to torture my students with!!! And they thought p. 125 was torture...

I'll try goes...

*I made it to E and the phone rang...tried the F after that. Even there, it felt more open and relaxed. The other thing I noticed was better finger position and contact with the valves, which has always been somewhat of a downfall for me.

* Gave it another try a bit later when I knew I was able to be completely undistracted by anything. Along with freeer (huh?) sound & better finger position, I noticed smoother technique (repetition, repetition, repetition), smoother connection across the range of the instrument, and a more relaxed approach in general. Now to try it on the C. Questions: do you do the last note as a half, whole note or fermata? How long between patterns? Only long enough to crank the metro one step or a bit longer? What's the capitol of Rhode Island? Ok. Here goes on C. (It's great having a student teacher!)
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

WOW Manny!

Your game really works great! Thank you for sharing your findings.

Here is a little variation I threw in the mix for fun:

Do the same pattern after the break, except add different articulations and patterns.

My tone really rounded out and got clear.

Thanks so much again Manny!

Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal

Re: Y'all ready f' dis? (NEW GAME)

Great idea for a game (time to get students working on it)

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano
    quarter note beat (crotchet).

16ths(semi-quavers) to the quarter note beat.
    Thanks for the international element

Forte User
    Rochester, MN
    These should be in that book we've all been asking you for, Manny!!! I don't know how you think these up, but they're real gems.

The guy at the local college was raving the last month or two about how much my tone has improved. I just keep telling him, a little Manny goes a long way!

After this excercise who knows what he'll say?

One thing's for sure -- I definitely have something new for the students to try. Thanks once again for sharing your profound wisdom with the rest of us mortals....

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Pianissimo User
    Niantic, CT
    Wow Manny,

I couldn't make it through starting at quarter=100. I had to take a reality check and back it up to start at 86. I still really stumbled on the reps at around 94-95 bpm. Thanks for pointing out a giant hole in my technique. A great game to play while watching the Mets with the sound turned down. cranking on the muscle memory.

Pianissimo User
    Fresno, California, USA
    Are we slurring, tonguing, or both (or neither )?
    Horn: Flip Oakes Wild Thing American Long Cornet
    Mouthpiece: Monette B1-1

Piano User

I tried this exercise this am after my Stamp warm-up, and the first Top Tone study that I did was much easier and responsive.
    Thanks so much for posting it!!!!

Roy Griffin

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    I got up this morning and played the "game" on my Bflat twenty minutes after rolling out of bed. It was great for getting the response happening, the air going, the fingers slamming and opening up the sound. I personally tongued them all and prefer that. As the tempo increases, the tonguing lightens up to keep it clean and connected. Good one Manny!

New Friend

New Game

Hi Mr. L,
    I have tried your new game for the past two days and I must say it is really a great way to improve tonguing speed and clarity! I also think it is a great tool for developing endurance. I took it all the way up to midle C to high C to midle C than low f# f# low f# and that on the C trumpet and by the end you start to feel all those muscles getting a real work out!

Thank you for sharing and please keep on thinking about new ways to help us all tame the beast!

Many thanks.

Heinz Karl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information