Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Yamaha, King , Bach Strad, or Bach Omega?!?! in the General forums; I am currently in the market for a new trumpet. i am currently a Freshman in high school and i ...

Question Yamaha, King , Bach Strad, or Bach Omega?!?!

I am currently in the market for a new trumpet. i am currently a Freshman in high school and i play a King 600. I don't mean to brag but i am in all of the "extra" stuff. ex. 1st division at solo and ensemble (6), solos at concerts, and so on. My trumpet is my life and i love to play. (not saying i have no life haha) but, i just love to play and i really take care of my horn. i have tried a Getzen 700 sp, Getzen 700 special, Bach Strad Omega, King silver Flair, and a Bach Strad from 1962 which was quite a treat.

i am looking to try a yamaha YTR-9355CHS which is a xeno artist model from their "chicago" series which has a silver plate finish, is a heavyweight trumpet. along with Yamaha Xeno series YTR-8335RGS this one is a heavyweight as well, also it is silver-plated, has a reverse tuning slide, and it has a gold brass bell.

Another couple that i wanted to try were by getzen. it is the Getzen 3001 artist Model. and i really am looking forward to the 3001MV artist model mike vax. that is the one i really want to play. at least try because every trumpet plays different. please let me know what you think!!

thank you!! :)

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Re: Yamaha, King , Bach Strad, or Bach Omega?!?!

You play the one that fits you best and feels the best to YOU!

We cannot tell you, unless you want to meet me at Eastside Music on Gratiot and 11 Mile Rd. and I can listen to you play.

A lot of trumpet players up there, the owner, the manager, the repair guy, and I can be there. That would help you a lot.

-cw-
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Fraser, I'd tack Chuck up on the offer if I were you.

See if you can't get him to go for a malt afterwards and pick his brain. They do have good malteds in Michigan, right??

:)

Forte User

I agree that a meeting with Chuck would be in your best intrest. No one can say which would be the best horn or mouth piece for any one with out hearing you play and what you feel works for you. My wife is a great player and we have only ever agreed on one horn that worked for both of us and never on a mouth piece. No matter which brand of horn you look at no two horns of the same model play exactly alike, not even Yamaha which has a good rep. of being consistant. We both liked the Yam. M. Vax model and we both wanted one but unfortunately there were only two left at the last store in the state that carried Yamaha. They played enough different that we both wanted the same horn, she really likes her M. Vax Yamaha. If you don't meet up with Chuck be sure to take a friend to listen to what the horn sounds like out in front and take a tuner. Good luck in your quest.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

thanks a lot chuck. i heard that Eastside doesn't carry ANY pro-line trumpets at all. so that is why i haven't gone there. maybe someday we can meet there. please let me know!

thanks again,
    Dylan

..... and honestly Richard Oliver, i don't think i have ever had a malt. the closest thing was a milkshake.
    -DYLAN
    FRASER HIGH SCHOOL
    -King 600 (my first horn!)
    -King Silver Flair 2055T

Banned Mezzo Piano User

What did you think of the YTR-8335RGS??? I have a lot of friends that play that model and love it. They do a little bit of everything and that is their main trumpet. Most of them have at least on Bach Strad as well but they really like the YTR-8335RGS for 90%f what they do. I do like it when I can buy American made products and so I do try when they have something I want. I do not know anyone that has played the 3001MV artist model Mike Vax model so if you get to play one tell us what you think. It is supposed to be on par with the Xeno line.

In the end all that really matter's is that you and the trumpet sound good together since you and the trumpet have to be team players!!! SO go with which ever one sounds best for you. You need to have someone that plays trumpet go with you and listen because what you hear is different from what the audience hear's. If you have a digital recorder you can take with you that might help you latter. Just tag the trumpet make and model on the recorder before you start playing you know which one you are playing set the digital recorder on the table or counter and step back and play. Listen to how the attack is, the slotting, intonation etc........ when you are done playing leave notes to you self about how the how the trumpet felt, what you thought of it etc......

Bach Strad
    Last edited by HSOtrumpet1; 12-21-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

HSOtrumpet1, Their is no way a Xeno is an amature horn it sounds just as good as any Bach Strad does and is built with more precision then probably any other trumpet on the planet mass produced or hand built. The reason they play so easily is because of the lack of human error intheir building. This is also though why they can sometimes sond a bit cold compared to a handbuilt trumpet. If the handbuilt has the right eroe's in it's construction the added harmonics can add warmth to the sound and some charcter.

Infact the Yamaha Xeno series has to be the second most popular professional grade trumpet sold around the world if you where to add up all the sales figures. Plus unless this kid or his parents are made out of money what is the difference in cost between a Marcinkiewicz and a Xeno? No one pays full MSRP for a Xeno but I doubt their is any way to get a Marcinkiewicz except to pay full MSRP. The difference in sound would have to be drastic to make the difference in price make sense. I would also ask what type of warranty does the custome trumpet come with and what if it needs to be serviced 15 years from now? I can parts for a Xeno or a Bach Strad and you know that Allied Part's will have every part for anything Getzen makes for years to come since Allied Part's is owned by the Getzen family plus they have their life time warranty on the valves. SO 40 years from now when his Grandchildren are playing his Getzen 3051 or 3001MV etc.... and it needs to have it's valves redone all they have to do is send it to Getzen for a rebuild instead of paying Anderson Plateing $360 for a valve rebuild or even more at some private shops etc.......

I think highly of the Getzen 3051 withthe No.172 Bell it has a great dark Jazz sound definately not anything like the Xeno or the Bach Strad. No one takes Getzen seriously as pro-models but they are really doing a good job on these new models. Since they are a long standing American made product that has great warranty and great part's availablity for repairs years from now I would at the very least try to get a hold of a 3051 and 3001 to at least play test. I think their reputation suffered because for so long they mostly persued the rental market and somehow they got this reputation for makeing cheap instruments but their 390/490 series are great trumpets for a student model and they are priced lower then most. For instance my son's Holton 602 student trumpet sells for $1025 from places like Music123,Dillionmusic,etc.....A Getzen 390/490 can be had new for well under $900 I see them often for around $700. They are well built trumpets they just do not have much personality but for the money you would be hard pressed to do better with what is out their now on the rental market. A cheap Chinese made Eastman is sold by Marshal Music for $925. My point is that Getzen today is not the same Getzen we remeber from years gone by. THey are truly focusing on makeing some seriously great pro-model trumpets. THey also built a qualit built durable product they just have been looked down upon for year's. Yamaha was treated like crap for a long time. It took years for Yamaha to be treated like a serious instrument manufacturer! Same thing goes for other companies that do not make instruments take Onkyo,Sony,Pioneer,Nakamichi these companies where treated like they where being built in a trailer park in Japan for years even though they always built a good product today the companies that where favored over them are no longer in business. Nothing is static in this world change is the nature of life and this is why you always have to play test things since the gem you are looking for might just well be a product you would not normaly consider. The people that buy based only on name recognition seldom find a diamond in the rough let alone a great deal.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HSOtrumpet1 View Post
    Neither One- I would go with a Marcinkiewicz. Maybe you have heard of them? They are the best horns, each is custom made, and they are beautiful. I play a Marcinkiewicz Vermeer model three, with a bach 3c mouthpiece, and I get a great symphonic sound. Yamaha trumpets, I would say are very amateur, your typical mass produced, starter trumpet; very easy to play. Be adventurous and look outside the box! The website to the Marcinkiewicz corporation is this Welcome to Marcinkiewicz Online
    HS

You are now visiting a trumpet site in which in addition to amateur and high school players, there are a great number of member who play professional and a number of members who play trumpet for a living.

To say Marcinkiewicz is the best horn is to show your lack of maturity in these matters. Although Marcinkiewicz makes a fine trumpet, there is no definitive answer as to the best. Are they better than
    Monette,
    Eclipse,
    Taylor,
    Calicchio,
    Schilke, and on and on?

Now as to your saying that Yamaha trumpets are amateur trumpets only serves to confirm your lack of knowledge.

Yamaha trumpets are played by some of the VERY TOP performers in the world, in Jazz and Classical playing. Let's start with
    Ronnie Romm
    Wayne Bergeron
    Eric Berlin
    John Hagstrom
    Randy Brecker
    Marv Stamm
    Bobby Shew and so on.

Unless of course you think these guys just play amateur trumpets.

Please think a little before you make outrageous statements.

-cw-
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information