Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Yamaha Xeno valves in the General forums; If we are honest to ourselves, we realize that any precision device is prone to operational "hazards". In the case ...

Re: Yamaha Xeno valves

If we are honest to ourselves, we realize that any precision device is prone to operational "hazards". In the case of valves that can be not brushing our teeth, not regularly cleaning the horn PROPERLY, not oiling the valves properly or often enough.

Remember that foreign materials in the instrument wander over time and not brushing your teeth today can cause a hang next week. I have also often noticed that most trumpet players do NOT oil correctly. They just pull the valve out a bit and oil on top of the moisture and grunge. One really needs to wipe the valve AND casing everytime and then oil the CLEAN, DRY metal directly. Oil floats on moisture and that causes increased wear and worse performance.

Comments like I "hate" border on ridiculous as they blame fine hardware for shortcomings on the side of the owner. The pros that I know using Yamaha instruments praise the valves - but then again, when you make money with the horn, you tend to avoid things that could change your reputation!

Let's keep the thread serious instead of documenting our own laziness!
    Last edited by rowuk; 02-20-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Ithaca NY

Quote Originally Posted by Brekelefuw View Post
    Tight tolerances in Yamaha valves means that any hooking or pushing of the valves can make them hang. Make sure you always go straight up and down when you press them.
    I know you are a horn technician, but I wonder if you are correct in this regard. As I see it, tight tolerance valves mean the pistons will get skewed very little off the vertical axis when pushed or hooked. In a looser fit there is more room for the piston to get tilted off-axis when sideways pressure is applied on the buttons. Once tilted, the bottom and top are pushed against opposite sides of the cylinder wall, and they then cause drag. On the downstroke the bottom edge of the piston digs into the cylinder wall; on the upstroke the top edge does. It usually ends up being more pronounced on the upstroke because the pressure applied when you push down is more than that applied by the spring pushing it back up.

Greensboro, NC

I'm wondering if the people who complain about Yamaha valves know how to "break" new valves in. Yamaha valves are some of the most precise of the big Co. horns out there. Because of this you have to break them in properly. Also they don't like sloppy finger technique.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Atlanta, GA

OK, so after a week or so its time for an update. I went out and got some Yamaha light synthetic oil, and it even mentioned on the package it worked well with rotarys and tight-tolerance pistons. As of now, the problem is solved and the valves feel more secure and dependable. Thanks for all the advice!

Piano User
    Spring City, PA, USA

It's a shame Lovevixen555 isn't here to blame it on the monel pistons.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

Quebec City, QC, Canada

operagost: you're a good surrogate...
    NYTC Stage 1 California Light - Wedge 3C cup w/ Warburton 7 backbore mpc
    Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975) - Schilke 15B mpc
    Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP mpc
    Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12