Trumpet Discussion Discuss Yoga??? Yoga. Yoga!?!? in the General forums; So one day I was in a Borders.... (There's no punch line) and I see a book called "Yoga for ...
    Pianissimo User
    Baltimore, MD

Yoga??? Yoga. Yoga!?!?

So one day I was in a Borders.... (There's no punch line) and I see a book called "Yoga for Dummies." I thought back to everything I've seen in ITG and all the greats that suggest Yoga as a way of relaxing. I was just wondering if the great all knowing, all caring, all trumpet playing Mr. L had anything to say on this topic. Does it work??? and What parts of Yoga should trumpet players review and/or practice??? (They didn't have a Yoga for Dummies that play the trumpet )

Utimate User
    Yoga is good for you whether you play trumpet or sell insurance. Anything like that or Alexander technique that makes you aware of the most efficient ways to use your body in a variety of situations is good for you.

we have this thing in marching band called The hindu (no offense i dont know why but the instructor calls it that) where you start by rolling your head forward, then your shoulders, so on and so on, all the way down so you bend your knees forward and you leave all your weight on your heels. Each limb on your body should take 4 beats per minute to roll forward.Then you do the same going up (you just start on by pulling your knees up slow) after doing this, you go up on your relevae (sp?) and stretch up like your being pulled up by a string on your head. This stretches your lungs and muscles so your body feels fresh and anew. IT REALLY WORKS! Its soo cool! Thats as close to yoga as i get, thought you might like!

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Rich Illman gave a workshop at ITG guessed it, "Yoga for Trumpet Players".

He and his Yoga instructor demonstrated some excrcises that can be done as a warm-up before playing, before performance, and after performance. I've been trying it, and find it helps me be a bit more relaxed, helps my posture, and helps breathing.

Some of the excrcises include (you really need to see these's way more clear):
    1. Finding posture: sitting, toes forward, feet parallel, legs slightly apart but not completely. Hands on knees, palms up. Listen to breathing. Be aware of sitz bones...those bones in your bottom that you feel against the chair. Roll back on them until you are perpendicularly aligned. You should feel as if you are being lifted slightly upwards.
    2. Head rolls. Maintain the centered posture, and as you exhale, bring your chin down to your chest as far as you can comfortably...that is, with no pain. As you inhale, bring your head back up, past centered, and bend it back, again as far as comfortable. Always stop before pain. You can do this one side to side, as well. This helps get things relaxed and eliminates tension in the neck.
    3. With arms folded, as you exhale, roll upper torso over, so the folded arms come past the knees, head down. Again, do this as far as is comfortable. Come up to center on the inhale. This helps alleviate back strain and tension associated with sitting and holding the horn for long periods of time.

Those 3 are but some of the excercises, but those are the ones I've been doing nearly every day before I warm up. I'll dig out my pamphlet and share some others. It should be stressed that these excercises be done to the point before there is discomfort or pain. If you feel pain or discomfort, you've gone too far. Back up a notch. I ususally do of each thing 3-4 times.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Thread Information