Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Your First Dent in the General forums; Tell stories of your first dent or other major dents. Mine happened today :( After 7 years of playing. Yes, ...

Your First Dent

Tell stories of your first dent or other major dents.

Mine happened today :(

After 7 years of playing.

Yes, I had my minor dents, but none of them I deemed serious enough to repair on my student Jupiter horn. However, today, I was holding my trumpet walking over to my music, and I slipped (socks on a hardwood floor). Everything went into slow motion and I tried to save my trumpet, but unfortunately I couldn't save it. Now my Getzen 700 bell is essentially a semi-circle. Oh yea, and my arm is all bloodied up from when I fell.

Oh yea, and then how much do these repairs cost? And should I trust my local repairman?

Tell stories about your first/major dents.

Tallahassee, FL
    I distinctly remember when I hurt my first strad. I thought my dad would KILL me!!

It was in 7th grade at a school pep rally where the band had to play. Another kid bumped into me and I dropped it about 3 feet straight on the bell. It twisted the bell and looked horrible. It was only about 6 months old.

Ended up fine and hardly noticable after the repair. My dad wasnt that mad suprisingly. I guess being a HS band director he sees much worse.

Portland, Oregon
    My first dent came in highschool marching band... we (the trumpets) were standing in a line spaced two steps apart, and we were all supposed to spin to the left.. unfortunately, the kid to my left spun to his right (I think that's right) and our bells ended up colliding. The local music shop was able to fix it, but I must admit that I wasn't that happy.

My latest dent (no, they're not that common) came after a concert here at school. I was heading out, trumpet in hand, case in a room behind the stage, and my girlfriend asked me to carry somethings for her, so, being considerate I said sure, and started this balancing act with everything figuring that it was just a room away. Yeah... that didn't work so well. My Model T slipped, I dropped everything and reached out to catch it, but all I did was it downwards a lot harder into a linoleum floor. Luckily (by some sort of divine intervention), there was a only very small dent, right on the edge of the bell and no other damage. Unfortunately, the repair tech that I normally go to won't fix it... said it was too close to the roll.

But yeah, I definitely wasn't breathing for about a minute after it fell... she had to kind of push me to get me started again.

Best of luck getting yours fixed!

I'm very proud to say that I haven't really had any major accidents. I would say 90 percent of my mishaps are the third slide dropping because I forgot to put the string on and the thing fell to the floor. The other 10 percent are instruments getting damaged in poorly designed cases (beware the Bach Quad and Wolfpak 2.5!). It completely boggles my mind how some of my middle school students seem to mangle their horns on a weekly basis...

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Ive never had a new trumpet. Ive never gotten to put the first dent in one of my horns, except my student alto sax

Monroe Ct.
    Not my first but the one that hurt the most.

I was trying to learn to transpose from B flat to C trumpet so I had both trumpets out. I have a Monette double case so I would put one trumpet on the flat top case and play the other.

For some reason I decided to switch trumpets. I could read the part ok, I just wanted to play this one thing on B flat. I went to put down the NEW Prana C trumpet and pushed in the first valve. When I pushed in the valve the slide fell out and hit the floor. It must have been from about 12" off the floor but it dented.

The dent isn't too bad and the Monette shop said they would fix it so it's been about a year now and the dent is still there. One of these days I will go to the factory with the horn and have it fixed.

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I had just gotten my new Kanstul that weekend. We had picked it up that Saturday and when I got to school on Monday I decided to lube up the slides again since it was still tight from being new. Everything went fine, I put the slides back in and tightend down the litle screw stopper thingies. The first time I went to play and D and kicked out the slide it came flying off and smacked right down on the floor! I guess I had put the wrong screws in for the wrong slides, the one for the 3rd is a bit longer since the tubeing if farther away, so when I had the screw from the 1st slide in it didn't catch on the stopper and fell off.

I was horrible, I had the horn for 2 days and already had a dent in it. It was nothing major, it dosn't effect the sound, and you cant even see it unless you know its there... but dangit!
    -David Jacques

I put my first dent in my Schilke because I was being stupid.

The bandleader of my party band plays multiple instruments, to include drums (although not NEARLY as good as our drummer) and while he was back there, I was messing with him, using the drumstick that me and the trombone player use on the cowbell (tunes where we aren't playing) to crash the crash cymbal closest to me. (I was crashing it at really weird times too! )

Anyway, on a follow through after hitting the crash, I whacked the stick right into the bell of my horn, sitting right there on the stand, and put a small dent between the valve section and the bell bow.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try to have it removed or not - it doesn't affect how it plays and dents past the bell bow can be a bit of a pain.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

san diego
    my first and last dent,s(not on my phaeton) are from my brother!
    he play,s trombone and for 20 years he has always played on my right.
    during a show he gets excited with the stepping and here comes the bell of his horn coming at me!
    I told him if he dents my new horn , it,s on like donkey kong!
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Put him on "BLAST", Clarence!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast