Trumpet Discussion Discuss your practice session in the General forums; What is your practice session consist of? what scales do you play? how long do u warm up? are there ...
    New Friend

your practice session

What is your practice session consist of?
    what scales do you play?
    how long do u warm up?
    are there any songs or anything that no matter what ever time u practice u play that song everytime just because

im going to used this to improve on how i warm up and im also just cerious

Mezzo Piano User

Re: your practice session

as for now i normally warm up doing pedal tones for ten minutes till my chops get nice and loose. then i start playing the chromatic in a jazzy kind of style, not only does it sound cool and is fun, but the rhythm i use warms up my upper register nicely. i keep going up until i feel stress then go down then up then down until i get to my normal range, a nice clean high C normally stops me. this normally takes twenty minutes because i love to make jazz riffs out of the chromatic scale.
    BREAK FOR 5 MINUTES-flutter lips
    After my chops are warmed up i do, well i try, to do fifteen minutes of lip slurs. Then i normally play this song called nine in the afternoon because it is in reality a song made up of high register lip slurs which has improved my playing greatly and is a fun trumpet song. This lasts for around ten minutes.
    Then i normally play Gospel, Spanky, Born to Be Wild, Take the A train, Glenn Miller's St. Louis Blues from this play lead with the Glenn Miller Orcheastra book, and normally i play my favorite movement from our marching show from the fall. I of course dont play all of them but normally i choose between my show music and Glenn Miller lead trumpet stuff because of the high range the songs are in.
    I then come back play a couple quick improvs and play four sharps and four flats (scales), then do five minutes worth of lip slurs. After that i have my cool down session and play lots and lots of pedal tones. Then i hold out low F# for 8 beats to loosen and relax my chops, then i put the trumpet away.
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

New Zealand

Hey, cool practice sesion RHS. I think its important to include a lot of music in a practice session, especially some of your favourite songs. At the moment I tend to improvise in the lower register over some II-V-I changes in all 12 keys (with a backing track) to warm up. I sometimes sit slouched in a comfortable chair to do this. I might do some single, double, triple tonguing (which really helps set up my chops). But mostly I work on memorising the melody and chord changes for jazz standards and working out solos to go over the changes. I try to keep creative and flexible about what I practice otherwise I get stuck in a rut. I also try and keep the frame of mind that I can learn something new each time I pick up the horn.
    Last edited by tunefultrumpet; 04-13-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: afterthought

i like to start with some free buzzing long tone if im in the mood... or i dont forget, then do the long tones on my horn, after that, depending on time and how much i already worked my chops that day, ill play some lip slurs that are nice, then move on to the arban, i do the first 10 exercises or so starting from the first number 11, the sound on those are pretty cool when you play it in cut time. ill move on to some school peices which arent too hard then ill stand up and play some jazz pieces from school. i like me some good jazz... i take breaks in between, however, i found that i should just break when i feel That feeling ill buzz a little bit and then play on, making sure to rest as much as i play! i found that schedualling my routine is pointless, they never work for me, what really counts is that i get some quality playing time in.
    edit: i dont practice scales as much as i should... but i know an okay amount of them... yargh.... im gonna practice when i get home... lol
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Fort Campbell, KY

I start at doing long tones in whole notes at 60 bpm. Then I so scales in one octave, with intervals. Then I have articulations that I've created, and some that have stuck in my head from drum corps. Finally I lip slur for a while. Then I BREAK!!!! My warm up usually lasts about 30 minutes. But if I have a show they can be dragged out so I can get a good warmup.
    I always end up playing my former high schools fight song. Plus I love to play "I always have georgia on my mind"
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Medina, NY

Where'd you get the Glenn Miller book? Is there a CD with it?
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

I never warm up.

I have a daily routine with about 15 minutes of long tones (mouthpiece only and trumpet), 30 minutes of slurs and then 30 - 45 of fun tunes or duets. Then I take a break. The next hour is on repertory that I have coming up. Then I take another break. Whatever time is left after that is for technical studies.

The problem is that my routine, or anyone elses has absolutely no meaning for you. You have other strengths and weaknesses than I do. Your stage of development is different than mine. Your ability to concentrate is different than mine, your performing schedule is different than mine. A routine is very personal. You need to focus on what you can't play now - without forgetting that music is the reason that we pick up the horn!

The biggest favor that any player can do for themselves is to get a daily routine. We are creatures of habit. The sooner we optimize habit building, the sooner we get good!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information