Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Your 'special' place in the General forums; I am so thrilled to be taking up the trumpet, all my life I've been a pianist and have never ...
    New Friend

Your 'special' place

I am so thrilled to be taking up the trumpet, all my life I've been a pianist and have never had the joy of playing my instrument in the wilderness.

I want so badly to find a mountaintop, cliff, forest grove, or pond to play my trumpet on. I live in the city, but the area outside of the city is more suburban and not too far off (20 minutes). Have any of you ever done this?

I am going to start driving around to find 'my spot' after the roads clear up here from the ice.

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Re: Your 'special' place

I did this a few times and believe it or not was a little disappointed, because my sound felt so tiny in the wide open! Some places give you decent sound, they're rare. The best sound I ever experienced was in an airplane hangar! Not the best if you seek the great outdoors...

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Monroe Ct.

On my pack deck until the neighbors complain

Mezzo Piano User

I guess I never really thought of the experience you describe until I read your post, I just took it for granted. I live in the mountains of Colorado and as such all I have to do is walk out my front door. My acreage is located about 1/2 a mile up the side of a mountain, the view straight across my front yard is a 750' high bluff. I sit somewhat in a small valley with small rises on the other three sides. I guess this makes sort of an outdoor amphitheater. The sound is fabulous. I have never gotten the tinny feeling someone else described and on the days the wind is just right neighbors a mile away say they heard me practicing.

All I can say is keep looking for your special place, there really is nothing like it. I feel extremely blessed that I have such a place right at hand and will no longer take it for granted.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Yes! Playing out doors where your trumpet can open up is great for your playing and great for your head. I like finding a place where I can get a little echo going. Kinda like God's own reverb system.

Medina, NY

I've played on my deck before, and I live in the country, but the best I think I ever sounded was in 2 places.

One, was with our marching band in the gymnasium. I had a solo in the ballad, and we were spread throughout the whole gym. Our director was letting all the seniors watch, and I got some great vibes from the whole thing. Just the whole reverb in the room, and being totally surrounded by the other players was crazy.
    The other was with the same band, same solo, but at State Championships. It was the best I've ever played at solo. Our championships are in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse NY, and the echo you get in that place can be a pain, but it is wonderful. Standing on the front sideline, playing up into the stands for a few thousand people, it's a great experience.
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

Piano User
    Northern Virginia

I love playing outdoors by myself, but rarely do it. I spent three summers at Tanglewood at which I practiced outdoors most of the time. When on vacation traveling through wilderness and park areas, I like to stop and play if it's not in a place that I think will bother other people. It's really good for developing your sound. On the other hand, I hate playing community band concerts outside because I can't hear myself playing at all. The sound goes out but doesn't come back and all I can hear is the drums behind me and the surrounding instruments.

My special place is in the orchestra, right behind the cellos and violas
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The Wide Brown Land

I, crave the seat behind the lead alto 'saxamaphone', just to remind him what a real instrument sounds like. My second fave spot is just behind the 'licorice sticks' specially when they are 'overscoring' the trumpets. And you already know about my third favourite spot, in behind the french horns because it it such a lovely complimentary sound - makes my toes tingle - oops sorry this is TM, isn't it?

Seriously though, a solo practice session in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall is pretty special - only happened once - I took advantage when my #1 Tuba Playing Son had a gig with his school band.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Melbourne Australia

Ted wrote:
    a solo practice session in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall
    Now that's cool.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information