Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Your wish list for Bb trumpets in the General forums; I auditioned for the Military and if I win the job then I hear rumour that the military will ship ...

Talking Your wish list for Bb trumpets

I auditioned for the Military and if I win the job then I hear rumour that the military will ship in any trumpets you like to try and then, once you decide, they will buy one for you. If you could make a list of your all time favorite trumpets and or trumpets you would like to try, what would they be? The only catch is that it has to be a Bb.

This is basically any trumpeters dream.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

If that is the case, you are very fortunate. To help us make some suggestions, we would need to know what general things you prefer in a Bb trumpet. For example, do you play the Yamaha because you picked that, or was it a "standard" type of purchase based on your teacher or something? Do you like open/tight, lively/dark, flexible/rigid slots, etc.?
    Larry Woods

Piano User

Talking

I dunno if this helps you but I'll make a wishlist just for kicks.

Edwards Gen III/Gen X
    Eclipse MY
    One of those nifty Lawler Briefcase Trumpets
    A Blackburn of some sort
    A Phaeton or Romeo Adaci...they just look so cool!

Sorry for wasting your time, but that was fun :)

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Let them buy you a Monette, then sell it and buy yourself a decent Bb, C, Eb/D, and Picc.
    -David Jacques

Piano User
    ??

i've never heard that. i was in the 106th army band for awhile. you could play your own axe or theirs. i recall them switching the unit-owned horns from king silver flairs to bachs.

more important...you've believed the recruiter? you believed ANY pre-enlistment promise...heh heh heh heh heh heh...my God!! if you play their horn, it'll be whatever they darn well give you.
    oh, when you get to the reception center, don't bother with the officer's haircut option...they'll let you get it because they say you can...after you pay for it they order you to get the buzz cut...chuckle...have fun.

army's not bad, just be careful whom or what you believe.

dj

Forte User
    Eclipse MR
    Eclipse Solar
    Eclipse XLR
    Eclipse - rest of range :)
    Yamaha 8335LA

A matched set of 3 Monettes - I have always had this urge to juggle 3 Monette trumpets - this is nothing aganst the way they play, it is just one of these perverse things that have got into my brain and never left.

Piano User
    hey, i just noticed you're located in canada. i know nothing about the canadian army policies.

dj

the Bb that I liked the most is no longer in production with Vax moving to Getzen. I really liked the Yamaha Mike Vax model, even better then the Xeno or Mark II (to me the Xeno was a step backwards from the Mark II)

Would like to try the Getzen Vax model

I do like the Getzen custom series I think the number is 2071 in large bore is the one I liked the most trying them at the shows.
    Per aspera ad astra

Forte User
    Ok...I'll play, too! (Not in order...)
    Eclipse MR
    Lawler TL 6R-1A (It's a real chameleon)
    Monette 993
    Blackburn
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

I was in the 84th Army band in Germany in the 70s and a major part of our duty was marching. Long parades and heavy trumpets do not necessarily fit together, so if one horn it has to be AND my preference: Monette XLT, Eclipse lightweight, Yamaha Xeno(can cut glass if you need to...) in that order. You would need to wait a year for the Monette though. I don't know the leadtime on Eclipse.
    Robin
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information