Trumpet Discussion Discuss Zeus? or Bach? in the General forums; Hi, I'm a foreign exchange student in Houston and this is my 7th month in America. I got into the ...
    New Friend

Zeus? or Bach?

Hi, I'm a foreign exchange student in Houston and this is my 7th month in America. I got into the school band last December, and chose trumpet.
    I'm about to buy a trumpet and planning to play trumpet my lifelong.
    I asked my band directer for trumpet and his buddy is gonna bring a Bach trumpet, (he didn't tell me which model) and it's gonna be $500.
    I guess it's just a student or semi pro-model like tr300 or tr200.

And about month ago, I first heard about Zeus.
    I've heard companies like Bach, Yamaha, Jupiter..., and on and on before, but not Zeus.
    And now I see many testimonials of Zeus trumpet, especially Guarnerius,
    and all the guys says great trumpet for great price. The trumpets are all handcrafted at Elkhart and it seems that the company really care about there trumpet.
    Now, I got only $700 so I can't get professional model but my buddy in my country told me to get low professional model from zeus. ztr750 was the model number I guess.
    So I'm now thinking about both trumpets...bach for $500...or zeus for $650..
    I think Bach is not the Bach in early years...and this unfamiliar horn, zeus, really is pulling me. How you guys think?
    Should I spend $500 for Bach or spend about $150 more and get
    Hi...I'm a foreign exchange student in Houston right now...

Lafayette, LA, USA

Re: Zeus? or Bach?

The 200 and 300 models are NOT semi-pro level horns. They are very much beginner to intermediate level horns. Save your money and buy a used pro level horn, and remember that there are a lot of great horns out there besides Bach and Yamaha. Play as many as you can and then decide what is best for you.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Rochester, MN
    I've got a Zeus G. Its a fine horn. If you are a student then tthere are several Zeus horns that would work very well.

Check them out at:

Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Piano User
    San Antonio, Tx
    Actually, one of our TM members (Reverend) is a Zues dealer out of Houston. Drop him an e-mail. His website is

He is very helpful, and can get whatever horns you want to try out (Zues)

p.s. Welcome to TM, and welcome to Texas
    Jonathan Wright

Pianissimo User
    Greater Houston area
    Sooyong Kim,

Welcome to the USA, Texas and Houston!! I certainly hope that you are enjoying your time here!

I am the person that others have mentioned as the ZeuS dealer in the greater Houston area! I believe that you can assume what my answer to your question would be!

Just to let you know, I have an absolutely brand new ZeuS ZTR 700 S in stock right now!! Of course, I also have a ZeuS Olympus and a ZeuS Guarnerius with me as well. You are welcome to contact me and set up an appointment to visit with me and demo these trumpets. I think that you will be impressed!

Thanks again!
    Michael Guevara, DMM
    Endorsing Artist - Phaeton Trumpets / Flugelhorns and Wedge Mouthpieces
    Cinco Ranch Conservatory of Music
    Golden Trumpet Ministries

Forte User
    Rochester, MN
    If you're tight on money and want a decent horn, foget the Bach, with the exception of the strad (and recently even that's been debateable), they all suck.

Personally, if you want brand new I'd say go for the Getzen 700S. It's priced like a student but plays as well as any intermediate I've seen. Also, the advice to buy a good used pro horn is sound -- you can get some very decent horns for $700 or less.

If you really want to work on the cheap, find an Olds horn in good shape. (Something pre-1970...the older the better so long as the valves are in good shape). I had one of these converted to a C trumpet and it blows away the old BAch Strad C trumpet I used to have. (Emphasis -- USED to have).

Also -- try before you buy, if at all possible. The difference between horns is amazing and highly personally. I wouldn't touch a Getzen Eterna or Eterna II with a ten foot pole, and yet I purchased a large bore Renaissance and have yet to find a horn I like better....go figure. And at the time I hated Getzen. Just goes to show -- you really should try before you buy, it'll make all the difference in the world.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

New Friend
    i would look for a secondhand instrument. For example a strad would set you back about 800 dollars on ebay.

Thread Information