Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music Discuss Associate Principal vs Assistant Principal in the General forums; Manny- What is the difference between these 2? Is it merely just an issue of semantics or contractual language or ...
    Forte User

Associate Principal vs Assistant Principal

Manny- What is the difference between these 2? Is it merely just an issue of semantics or contractual language or is there a real difference?
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Utimate User

Re: Associate Principal vs Assistant Principal

No, Glenn, there's a difference albeit slight.

Think of the associate as someone who does a lot more playing; sort of like a co-principal would do. An assistant would likely play concerti and things but probably not get whole programs except on an emergency basis. Of course, there would be assisting if a principal needed it. There's not a whole lot of difference but it depends on the relationships that have been cultivated within the section.

Having said all that, every orchestra is different and will have its own rules and policies, official and unofficial. Again, it depends how well everyone gets along. Doug is an absolute sweetheart about playing stuff for me when I need time off and he's always happy to play. Who wouldn't be?

ML

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

Glenn,

I was associate principal in Houston for a short time back in the 70s.

My job was to play the first half if the principal wanted the relief, play 3rd on the second half (if applicable) and stand in if the principal was down.
    You have to keep your "A" game ready in that chair...

Honing my "B" game,
    EC

Forte User

Ok... I got it, thanks to both of you.
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Isn't it interesting how various orchestras will call the same job different things? In the Chicago Symphony, Mark Ridenour is listed as Assistant Principal. Chicago Symphony Orchestra - CSO Musicians Roster - List Section
    For him this means he mostly plays 3rd trumpet when the principal trumpet is playing 1st, and plays 1st when the principal trumpet is not playing.

In the New York Philharmonic, Matt Muckey (Bob Sullivan previously held this position) is listed as Associate Principal, ( New York Philharmonic: Trumpet ) and his job description is basically the same is Mr. Ridenour's listed above, and yet one is called 'Assistant' and the other is called 'Associate'.

and don't even get me started on Cleveland, who list Cornets and Trumpets separately, ( The Cleveland Orchestra )and are the only orchestra in America to do this, and perhaps the only major American orchestra ever to do this (although I very well may be wrong about that) The reason for this is actually very interesting, but I guess that is a whole different can of worms.

Eb

Pianissimo User

This is how I've typically understood the distinction and heard it used (not always, but typically). Keep in mind that I have only the slightest fraction of experince of many of the posters above.

Associate Principal (aka third trumpet) plays third when the principal is onstage in the case of a single part. Plays first auxiliary part (eg Trumpet, Cornet or Bb Trumpet, Eb Trumpet or Onstage/Offstage) when principal is on first, and plays principal on the stuff that the principal does not play (concerti, etc).

Assistant Principal assists the principal player ON HIS PART while the principal is onstage, either by doubling or relieving the principal in certain sections.

So in my next orchestra concert, my associate is playing third (and is very excited because he has a few big solos with the 'bones and the horns, not uncommon in third trumpet parts) but I ALSO have an assistant helping me out on first because we're playing a John Williams concert and I'm only so strong.

Stuart

Mezzo Piano User

Stuart, I think most groups these days have one or the other, making the situation you describe impossible.

The only orchestras I can think of that have both Assistant Prin. and Assoc. Prin. trumpets are Houston and Cincinatti. Not sure how they split things up, but it may be like how you described it.
    Last edited by robertwhite; 03-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Forte User

Glenn,

I'm glad you asked this question. For me it was one of those things that I often wondered, but never got around to asking.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day so that my child may have peace.”

Thomas Paine 1737-1809

“That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

Hi, new guy here-

I've always found it interesting that in some of the instances that I've seen, that the 3rd player would play the 1st parts whenever the actual principal is sick, on leave, or whatever and NOT the 2nd trumpet player.

For example:

In the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, the Principal trumpet passed away recently (it's a very sad story ) and the 3rd trumpet player now plays all of the first parts while the 2nd player continues to play 2nd.

Could you say that it would actually be preferable to play 3rd in a symphony than 2nd? Obviously, you may get to play more frequently as a 2nd trumpet due to not all scores require 3+ trumpets, but often there's more opportunity to shine and play fun 3rd parts (Don Quixote, Shostakovich Sym. No. 1, etc. i.e.) and even play 1st when needed.

What are your thoughts?

Chuck

Piano User

Sometimes it is just a matter of semantics. I started out in Denver as assistant principal and negotiated to have it bumped up to associate, as I thought it more accurately described my workload. The job didn't change a bit.

I think Marie might have been assistant principal in Cincinnati, but she certainly played a good deal of 1st parts. I was associate in Houston and am associate here in LA, but play a LOT more 1st here, on big-ish pieces, than I ever did in Houston. Additionally, I also assist the principal on his part when necessary, and did so in Houston, too. Also, both Houston and LA link the associate with the 4th chair, not the 3rd. I think Cinci was like that when Marie was there, too.

So, each orchestra defines it in their own way - there is no concrete definition.

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information