Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music Discuss hummel, haydn, etc on b flat vs e flat trumpet? in the General forums; i have heard different opinions about playing the hummel on the e flat trumpet versus the b flat. one school ...
    New Friend

hummel, haydn, etc on b flat vs e flat trumpet?

i have heard different opinions about playing the hummel on the e flat trumpet versus the b flat. one school of opinions that i have heard say that one should stick with the larger horns (b flat, c) when possible and that an e flat trumpet is more of a crutch that should only be used if it is simply extremely difficult to play otherwise. the other school of thought is that for certain pieces it is preffered to play on the e flat trumpet because they produce a certain sound (or something like that i dont exactly remember...) anyway i was wondering if anyone could explain and elaborate on this. thanks

Re: hummel, haydn, etc on b flat vs e flat trumpet?

The horn doesn't make any difference. They are equally playable on the Bb and Eb. A Bb probably even sounds closer to the original keyed trumpet.

The Eb is no crutch as if the player even deserves to be on stage with this piece, the technical part is covered. Musicality is not limited to a pitch of horn. It is in the head of the musician.

The crutch stuff only comes from the lazy that won't do the pieces justice on any horn!

As far as an audience is concerned, they pay for music not excuses. That pretty much sums up what we need to do to prepare.

For me, the reason that these pieces exist was to showcase a new lyrical, chromatic facet of this instrument versus the established military/fanfare side. If you study the score you will see big swings in "color". In my opinion, larger horns have more "colors" available.

Here is an excellent example of what I mean using the Haydn with a copy of the original instrument:

http://www.TrumpetMaster.com/vb/f146...ydn-48269.html (Guerrier's Haydn)

Listen to the difference between his chromatic and arpeggio approaches.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Robin's post is spot on...it doesn't really matter. The eefer is not a crutch...most players (in the US anyway) play it on E-flat.

One thing to consider is where you are. Convention DOES matter, in certain ways. It seems to me like most players in the US do it on E-flat, while in Germany, and other places in Europe (most places maybe?) it's more common to do it on B-flat.

Hope this helps.

LE
    Louie Eckhardt, MM
    Freelance Trumpeter
    http://www.LouieEckhardt.com
    Cathedral Brass Quintet
    http://www.CathedralBrass5tet.com

Lou,

Probably part of the reason for us, Europeans to commonly play it on B flat is that many orchestral auditions require to be played on a B flat. So if you got it once right on the B flat, why change? Some trills are easier on the eefers though. Another reason may be that many trumpet players especially in Eastern Europe may not own an eefer.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

It's easier for me on an E flat. I would have said up until now to play it on an E flat just to make it more authentic, but apparently it wasn't even written for E flat, so whatever is easier for you, I guess.
    Last edited by HSOtrumpet1; 12-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by HSOtrumpet1 View Post
    but apparently it wasn't even written for E flat, so whatever is easier for you, I guess.
    The keyed trumpet it was written for WAS in the key of Eb. At least that's what I found in my research.
    1994 Jupiter JTR-1200
    1983 Bach Strad 37 ML

Yeah, I can see how these guys NEED a crutch...
    IMO
    I always considered Eb a little harder to play, but easier to be accurate in the E-A areas, and of course a picc is even more difficult to play. A Bb may be capable of being played, but the tones of the Eb, picc etc make the horn more a soloist sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6u22A_Xy2E]YouTube - Hummel Trumpet Concero in E 3rd Mov.[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8H8CSojis&feature=related]YouTube - J. N. Hummel - Trumpet Concerto in Eb, 3rd mvt.[/ame]

And the great M.Andre
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGBtG9Wcgc&feature=related]YouTube - Maurice André Trumpet Hummel 1, 05.02.2004 Strehler[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21TUtfItWg0&feature=related]YouTube - Phil Smith Plays Haydn Concerto 2/NYPO/Mehta[/ame]
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

I don't know any of the delicate proprieties on this issue, but my opinion as an amateur hack is that it's fun on Bb or Eb trumpet (Fun transposing and playing it on my C trumpet too). However, for me on Bb it's a bit like trying to wrestle a big Cadillac through twisty curves, while on the Eb is more like taking them in a sports car. I don't know that one sounds better than the other, but I like to be able to play it on either horn. Then again, after a couple of drinks I'll sometimes pull out my Olds Eb Alto and rip through it just for giggles, so don't go by me
    Glen

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Forte User

The thing that seems to be overlooked here is that the original poster may not realize that you need to learn to play and Eb. Few folks can just pick one up and play it like a Bb or a C. If you are striving for sound you can many times get very close to making the Eb sound like a C or Bb. However, one has to practice and know how to play the instrument as well as hear the pitches in Eb.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by HSOtrumpet1 View Post
    It's easier for me on an E flat. I would have said up until now to play it on an E flat just to make it more authentic, but apparently it wasn't even written for E flat, so whatever is easier for you, I guess.
    Which "it"? Hayden or Hummel? I recall that the Hummel was originally written in E, not Eb. One local trumpet player I know went back to the original score--as in the original manuscript--to do some research on it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information