Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music Discuss Wanted: Trumpet Player in the General forums; Originally Posted by LyraNocturno We are looking for someone who has completed his/her undergraduate. We are not looking for someone ...

Re: Wanted: Trumpet Player

Quote Originally Posted by LyraNocturno View Post
    We are looking for someone who has completed his/her undergraduate. We are not looking for someone who is still in the proses of his/her bachelors degree because of the time commitments of the class schedule. This ensemble is in its infant stages and needs mature, responsible, and committed performers.

That being said, we are very open-minded.
    Also, as this is only the first year of the ensemble's existence, we cannot afford to relocate any interested applicants.
    Thank you very much for your interest.
    Ok - seems reasonable. So basically the Bachelors is preferred, but not "required" - kind of like in my job field as a datbase administrator. The degree is good, but if you know you job, you know your job.

Well, you are in a pretty good area - Loudoun county is close enough to DC that you will likely have a pretty large selection of folks to choose from.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Piano User

I understand the reasons, and if I was closer I would love to help you out. I almost moved to Loudon Co. a few years ago. Good schools in that area with pretty strong programs.

If I get fed up with Maryland enough and head south I will let you know

TD

Piano User

Seems to me that a group should be able to put what ever requirements they want on prospect. Just sayin.......
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

www.sterlingbrass.vpweb.com

www.myspace.com/jasoniboddie

Quote Originally Posted by jason_boddie View Post
    Seems to me that a group should be able to put what ever requirements they want on prospect. Just sayin.......
    Of course they can - is there anything wrong with asking why they would impose that limitation? Did you even read what I posted?

Now I know why I spend my time on the Pearl Drummers Forum instead of here.
    Patrick Gleason

Piano User

I guess what my friend Patrick is saying is that a Bachelors degree in music doesn't have jack to do with how well someone plays. . I agree FWIW...
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I guess what my friend Patrick is saying is that a Bachelors degree in music doesn't have jack to do with how well someone plays. . I agree FWIW...
    Yep - that's the point I was trying to make, although it does seem that degreed individuals have been exposed to certain things (forcefully, in many cases) that a non-degreed person might not, such as various composers who might not be known well outside of academic circles. They have also been forced through a regimen of structured lessons/practice that a non-degreed player might not otherwise attempt.

My comments were made in part due to my own experience as a trumpet player where I was a member of a brass quintet in my early days as an Army Bandsman. I was the only member without a degree, but I wasn't the worst player in the quintet. I wouldn't have stayed in that quintet if I wasn't the choice for the ensemble - I would have been replaced by someone else, and there were other degreed trumpet players in the band, but I maintained my position there for one simple fact - I played the material well.

With but a short time frame for about 18 months after I left the Army in late 1999, I've gigged steadily since about 1987, and the lack of degree never seemed to be a factor for me. Just sayin.
    Patrick Gleason

Piano User

FYI....

Just sayin......= JOKE
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

www.sterlingbrass.vpweb.com

www.myspace.com/jasoniboddie

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Yep - that's the point I was trying to make, although it does seem that degreed individuals have been exposed to certain things (forcefully, in many cases) that a non-degreed person might not, such as various composers who might not be known well outside of academic circles. They have also been forced through a regimen of structured lessons/practice that a non-degreed player might not otherwise attempt.

My comments were made in part due to my own experience as a trumpet player where I was a member of a brass quintet in my early days as an Army Bandsman. I was the only member without a degree, but I wasn't the worst player in the quintet. I wouldn't have stayed in that quintet if I wasn't the choice for the ensemble - I would have been replaced by someone else, and there were other degreed trumpet players in the band, but I maintained my position there for one simple fact - I played the material well.

With but a short time frame for about 18 months after I left the Army in late 1999, I've gigged steadily since about 1987, and the lack of degree never seemed to be a factor for me. Just sayin.
    Makes sense, we both have similar backgrounds...
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

While a degree is not a measure of musical quality, it does demonstrate a certain amount of dedication to finish something in a more or less organized way - something many DIY-selfers in my experience are missing.

If this was the only requirement then it would be a problem. Giving a certain cross section of musicians looking for work (those that have at least made this minimal investment) is not a bad thing. If they figure out that in this group there are no qualified applicants, then the second round could be different.

If someone is really hot stuff, I am sure that they will listen to the tape. There are fewer surprises out there than many wish to accept though................

Seeing how it is THEIR MONEY, you accept their conditions or don't apply.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    While a degree is not a measure of musical quality, it does demonstrate a certain amount of dedication to finish something in a more or less organized way - something many DIY-selfers in my experience are missing.

If this was the only requirement then it would be a problem. Giving a certain cross section of musicians looking for work (those that have at least made this minimal investment) is not a bad thing. If they figure out that in this group there are no qualified applicants, then the second round could be different.

If someone is really hot stuff, I am sure that they will listen to the tape. There are fewer surprises out there than many wish to accept though................

Seeing how it is THEIR MONEY, you accept their conditions or don't apply.
    It didn't look to me like it was a paid position - only a volunteer effort with the idea of money coming through freelance gigging with the ensemble.
    Patrick Gleason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information