Jazz / Commercial Discuss Freddie! in the General forums; Anyone going to check him out this week at Iridium? Wilmer...
    Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Freddie!

Anyone going to check him out this week at Iridium?

Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

PH
    Mezzo Piano User
    Wilmer, I want a full report. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for Freddie. He was my first great inspiration.

New Friend

Freddie Hubbard

Here is a link to a review of Freddie's performance at the Iridium:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledg...3700487230.xml

Piano User
    Been listening this week to a recording by Dexter Gordon "Doin Alright" which features Freddie. Has anyone heard this recording?

If you do not have it, find it ----It is my new favorite Freddie recording. His solos are just structured perfectly. His sound is just right.

At his best Freddie, no one could touch this guys skills!

New Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by talcito
    Been listening this week to a recording by Dexter Gordon "Doin Alright" which features Freddie. Has anyone heard this recording?

If you do not have it, find it ----It is my new favorite Freddie recording. His solos are just structured perfectly. His sound is just right.
    There's a transcription of his solo on "Doin' Alright", in case you're interested...

http://www.shout.net/~jmh/hubbard/
    Jeff Helgesen, trumpet
    http://www.shout.net/~jmh/

Piano User
    Hi Jeff:

Thanks so much for your reply.

I just finished downloading all of the Freddie Hubbard transcriptions you made available.

I was thrilled to see your transcription of "Byrdlike". I once studied with a guy who made me sing all of solos by Freddie on this track. I had to sing along with the solo until I could "sing this in my sleep". I did this for about 6 months--Just singing this solo is a challenge in itself! My teacher dissaaproved of actually transcribing the solo---Just wanted me to sing them----He was a Lennie Tristano disciple---I believe they thought the "singing" method was better for internalizing music.

Once again, thank you.

Oscar Onoz

New Friend
    I went to see him on the Friday. It was great to see such a legend, I have always wanted to see him play. He still has his sound even if his playing is not what it used to be. (He was also suffering from jet lag) We chatted with him afterwards, what a gracious, sharing man! I knew this would probably be the last time I would have this opportunity and I am so glad I happened to be in NY.

Thread Information