Jazz / Commercial Discuss Just thought I'd share with you all... in the General forums; I don't know how many of you are into Ska Music, basicaly rock with a horn line, and it's not ...
    Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar

Just thought I'd share with you all...

I don't know how many of you are into Ska Music, basicaly rock with a horn line, and it's not the most musical genre in the world, but none the less I find it amazeing.

Anyways, last night I whent to a concert that my friends Ska band played at. They played with a band named Streetlight Manifesto, if you're into Ska music you've probably heard of them, they are quite amazeing. They opend their set by playing a Ska arrangement of George Bizzets' "Le'Arsenige" (Farandole). It was amazeing. They played a few other songs and then after a short break started up again with Brahms' "Hungarian Dances".

It was the best show I've ever been to in my life. The horn line was absolutly amazeing! I've never seen someone improvise on trumpet that well before. There was one improvised solo that whent on for well over two minuets in the upper register well above the staff, the amazeing part is he never took a breath, he must have been circular breathing but I've never seen someone do it that well in the upper register.

The other bands that played were also great. Captain Squegee and the Soap Suds, a local band here in the Phoenix area played the best I've ever heard them play and I've been going to all their shows for the last year or so.

It sure was hot though, there were about 250 people or so cramed in a room that was probably 40 x 60 feet most of wich was taken up by the stage. My friend had a thermomiter on his watch he said in the middle of the big dance group area it was nearly 160 degrees!

It was simply an amazeing show. If your into this kind of music you need to check out the bands Streetlight Manifesto, and Captain Squegee and the Soap Suds. Great music... Just thought I'd share...

-David
    -David Jacques

Pianissimo User
    Thanks for posting that. I'll check them out.

There was one improvised solo that whent on for well over two minuets in the upper register well above the staff, the amazeing part is he never took a breath, he must have been circular breathing but I've never seen someone do it that well in the upper register.
    I saw a similar event at a jazz concert a few weeks back. There was this trumpeter, Irvin Mayfeild who did a solo that climbed up and down 3 octaves and never took a breath. It was simply amazing. I could tell he was circular breathing because his cheeks would be filled with air and then while he was playing he would breathe through his nose to fill up his cheeks. I've never really seen circular breathing put to practical use before that.

Chris
    Check Out my Forum
    TrumpetChat.myfreeforum.org

Yamaha Xeno RGS
    Yamaha 2320
    Parduba Double-Cup #6

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Yeah, I learned how to circular breath a couple years ago... But I've only really needed to use it once. It was in the Lord of the Rings Symphony by Meji (or something similar to that) The first movment Gandolf in the big brass choral near the end, the director wanted that as conected as possible so I used it then, but I can't imagin being able to keep enought pressure in the air while circular breathing while playing golden notes up around high G...
    -David Jacques

Thread Information