Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Jazz / Commercial Discuss Lead Trpt Sound - "big and fat "or " cutting in the General forums; Hey Mike, Yea, tough topic , Ha I've got a post ready about the east coast / west coast trumpet ...
    Piano User
    Hey Mike,

Yea, tough topic , Ha

I've got a post ready about the east coast / west coast trumpet sound in the wings. Started it last night, but didn't want to rush thru the topic so I just saved the draft.

Well, the guys you work with in Florida , Paul Cohen and Johhny Bello, those are the guys that made it happen in New York for a number of years, but arn't considered to have that typical " New York " sound. Why is that ?

I got the answers ( well, theories ) and I'll probably start a new topic on it.

Here's a teaser, their we actually 2 guys that came to New York in the early 70's that started to change the whole New York concept of playing lead trumpet and the sound you wanted and how " Balls to the Wall " you wanted to play.

Doc changed things a little, but was still in the thick of the Bernie Glow / Johnny Frosk / Jimmy Maxwell / Charlie Margolis tradition and as you know, played 3rd trumpet on the old Tonight Show while Johnny Frosk played lead. there was a reason for that.

Johnny Frosk played on a Bach 37 and a bach 7d peice, which was a typical New York set -up. Bach 37 or 25 ( Bernie Glow ) and a Bach c or d cupped mouthpiece.

Don't start guessing about the new players and ruining my " Thesis " on the subject for my PHD in ' Dubba C "

Makes you think thou, are you more effeceint with a big , fat sound or a cutting , intense sound ? Arn't we all after trying to be playing easier?

Larry

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    I think you can play with either the big fat sound, or with the "lazerish" and be an efficient player. The "sound", while asisited with our equipment, comes from the concepts we have in our heads of what kind of sound we think is suppose to be coming out the bell. Being an efficient player, and trying to pay easier ... that's in how you physicaly approch the bad boy.

Jay Daversa ... www.jaydaversa.com ... is an extremely efficient player to watch, and has a huge fat sound with lot's of sizzle.

PLease oh please .... who are those two players from the '70's who made some changes in NYC scene ???? giime gimme I can't wait !!!!!
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com
    Maynard Ferguson BBN Band

Piano User
    Fellas

Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag early just for you.

They were:

Jackie Vernon and

Pete Barbutti

gotcha !!!

PS: if you havn't heard of these guys, go ask your Mom if she will take the "parental control" off the computer so you can look them up.

LG

MPM
    Pianissimo User

DAVE TRIGG

Larry,

This is a carry over from the other thread. Where would you put Dave Triggs "sound", live, in relation to others? I don't mean to put you "on-the-spot" (ha ha ha) But as I said I confused his playing with Chucks lead playing. The Gozzo, Audino, Al Porcino sound ... or the Faddis, Chase type ... I'm guessing somewhere inbetween.

I'm asking not only for my own benefit but to help educate others in the "listening department". In todays music world one needs to be able to step into most any musical situation & "nail it", have a "grasp" on different musical concepts. Again I'm bringing these things up as educational reading, for my self and others.

MPM
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

MPM
    Pianissimo User

Sounds

And ... To answer a question from your first post:

Byron Strippling - Saw him playing lead on Woody band (wow) Big fat sound with great cutting edge.

Snooky - You gotta be kidding ... one of the greatest lead trpt players (of the old school) still alive. My favorite of all the Basie lead trumpet players.

Charlie Turner - Another wow! Frank Sinatra had a great lead player there. That should tell readers what kind of sound he has.

Bobby Shew - I don't think there's anything this guy can't do on a trumpet. A must have Shew CD ... "The Music Of John Harmon" ... order it off Bobbys web site!

Mike Manthey - Don't know that name.

Gary Grant - I'm ashamed to say I don't have his CD, but I will get it. But he's another of those treasured LA studio cats .. yes?
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

Big, yet cutting

Old post, but gotta update. I'm one for the big fat sound. Put it this way, I'm more preferrable to the sound of a screaming C-5 Galaxy over the sound of a screaming F-18 Hornet.
    Bach 180LR, 72 bell
    Bach 1-1/2C
    Bach 3D

Piano User
    Hi all,

Dave Trigg falls into the modern lead trumpet sound, strong, intense, cutting and deadly accurate like a surgeon’s scalpel

He plays a Calicchio med. bore, #3L pipe , 1sZ bell, reversed lead pipe, minimal bracing and it light as a feather. Trigg played a “ Gold Chicago Benge med. Bore “ before the Calicchio, but did at one time had a Yamah Shew. Duda made this Calicchio in Tulsa. I still have the original prototype here with me, ( I might give it back at the Namm Show in Anaheim, maybe , probably, not sure yet ) that was made with a Hollywood valve casing which was heavier than Dave liked and it made the trumpet a little tight and out of balance.

Dave plays a Marc. piece that is made for the Pete Candoli underpart and a Faddis- type rim.

On Natalie's Show, out here at the Anaheim Pond, ( where the Mighty Anaheim Ducks play ) Dave played " out of this world " lead trumpet all night and on the end of one tune ," Luck be a Lady Tonight ", out of nowhere and after a long Natalie " singing break " without band , Dave puts the horn to his mouth for the last note and nails, and I mean nails, a hi Bb that's in octaves with the other trumpets at the end of the tune. He picked it out of thin air. No great “ prep “ or nothing, just trumpet to lips and “ Wham “

He hadn't done it at rehearsals so everyone " pissed their pants “ even Natalie turned around and smiled. It was so loud and intune, it sounded like the rest of us didn’t even exist.
    I’m sure all of Anaheim, Ca , including Disneyland stopped, turned their heads and said, What the hell was that?''
    Dave Trigg - lead player exprodinaire.

Larry

Larry

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    Larry,

Cool story ... hope you guys brought a change of underwear ( ha ha ha )

What's a 1sZ bell? I do like the #3 leadpipe. There's a guy in Branson Mo that has an one of the last 1s-3's ml bore that Domonic ever made. Very nice trumpet!

How does the #3 lead-pipe compare to the #2 & #7 in sound & feel?
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

Re: Lead Trpt Sound - "big and fat "or " cutting

ttt

Fortissimo User

Re: Lead Trpt Sound - "big and fat "or " cutting

It would be a "stretch"... the TrumpetMaster website was started in October of '03!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information