Jazz / Commercial Discuss Lincoln Center for Jazz in the General forums; Anybody else catch the PBS show last night? Damm, that Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra blew me away! I couldn't stop ...
    Fortissimo User

Lincoln Center for Jazz

Anybody else catch the PBS show last night? Damm, that Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra blew me away! I couldn't stop my foot from tapping along. What a monster alto-man. Wynton was good, but he was incredible.

Forte User
    i saw it but was pretty disapointed with the show. instead of showing the LCJO for 2 hours as i had hoped the show was only one hour and alot of it was taken up by showing the other groups and interveiws.

on the plus side: wynton playing keeps getting better and better. a month off didnt slow him down at all.

Piano User
    The sax player is Paquito D'Rivera. He is originally from Cuba and used to play with the outstanding group Irakere. That group won a grammy in 1979 for live recording at a jazz festival(Do not recall which one). One of the trumpet players on that recording was a young Arturo Sandoval. I would strongly reccomend this recording. The band plays with an energy similar to the Bill Chase recordings.

If you would like to hear some great playing from Paquito, you have to get the recording "Manhattan Burn". This recording also features the most incredible playing by Claudio Roditti. This recording is a must.

Also, Jamey Aeborsold recently put out a Volume featuring Paquito's music. The music track was recorded by Paquito's working band so you get a chance to play with the "real deal".

I think you will really enjoy these reccomendations!

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Paquito just recently did a concert down here. I think tickets were like 5 dollars a piece. I had other engagements and couldn't go... :(
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Thread Information