Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Jazz / Commercial Discuss real book/fake book myth and facts in the General forums; Hi, As a Jazz musician I have one fake book. It is Hal Leonard published "real little jazz fake book" ...
    Piano User

real book/fake book myth and facts

Hi,
    As a Jazz musician I have one fake book. It is Hal Leonard published "real little jazz fake book"
    It is great and it has 600 standards in it. But it lacks some. And now its starts to bug me, because it lacks:
    *on a green dolphin street
    *days of wine and roses
    *perhaps perhaps
    just to name some. But there are lot more actually that is missing. How come that is the only real/fake book available.
    I mean there is another it is called latin rael book (also Hal Leonard) nd it has Perhaps perhaps (quisaz quisaz) bit it lacks others.
    I was in Paris lately and went to music shops and they told me, noooo we do not have those kind of books. They sounded like I was asking for photocopied sheet music.
    So I guess it is not that off actually. And I searched elswhere, but I cannot find it, it is so hard. I found only that only that hal leonard that I already have and latin real book.
    So what is it? I persume it is not completely legal or what? By my approximation there are at least 1000 standards out there, do they have legal rights only on those 600.
    I also went to find green dolphin street on the web, but couldnt find it. Google found something but on dodgy sites that I do not trust, so I didnt even open.
    And what is the difference between fake book and real book.
    //I am not interested in bB editions because I always think, talk and read in C, so bB would just confuse me.

New Friend

Re: real book/fake book myth and facts

In my experience you'll never find just one book with all the tunes you want. You need a library of these books and you'll still end up not having what you're looking for.

Pianissimo User

I have this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Hal-Leonard-Corporation/dp/0634060384]Amazon.com: The Real Book: Sixth Edition: Hal Leonard Corporation: Books[/ame]

does that have different tunes from the one you have?

I have about 12 different real or fake books. Some are legal and some I believe are a copyright rip off and are not available through a retail outlet.
    I bought a couple from a complete stranger outside a Jazz bar that I was working at in about '83.
    i have a few that are dedicated to compositions by a single artist.

I have probably 20 real/fake books. Sometimes I STILL can't find the tune I am looking for.

Hi frankmike,

There are several legal as well as "questionable" real or fake books on the market in one form or another. I say form because they are available in actual 5 pound + books, mini-books or even on .PDF (even in .PDF some are legal). They are generally in the key of C - which as jazz trumpet player , one should get as comfortable as possible reading and communicating in the key of C.
    I often find it difficult to even "speak B flat" anymore. It's the key that most players will find "neutral ground" with, regardless of what key our instruments are actually in. My advice is to buy your books in C and just start transposing; it will help you in the long run. But each to his own - tenor, clarinet and trumpet players unite!
    That being said I have found virtually every tune I needed in these particular books. Some are hand written and some are not. You can also find many tunes in the Band in a Box software - these can be arranged, and transposed to fit your style, key and instrumentation---very cool software.

There are countless other books on the market, as well as Aebersold; if your looking for a particular tune I'm sure it can be found. These 17 books are in the aforementioned formats, I included the exact name of the book and what it says on the cover...

Best of luck,
    Jason

The Colorado Cookbook
    The Bill Evans Fakebook
    Jazz Fakebook
    Jazz LTD - "Over 500 Tunes The Realbooks Missed"
    Library of Musicians Jazz - "This collection of popular music has been compiled to furnish a compact library of the most requested songs for professional musicians and is not intended for sale to the general public."
    The Realbook Volume I, II and III
    The New Realbook Volume I, II and III
    The Latin Real Book
    The Real Book of Blues
    The Real Classical Fake Book
    The Book
    The Vocal Real Book Volume I and II
    Jason Parra
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.myspace.com/jasonparrajazz
    http://trumpetland.ning.com/profile/JasonParra
    http://jasonparra.com
    |\____--- _____<
    |/ (__=||||=__)

Zeus Olympus copper/brass brushed
    Stomvi Mambo Titanium
    Martin Committee Deluxe T3565BLK
    L.A. Benge Flugelhorn

Pianissimo User

isn't learning it by ear a more beneficial way than reading it out of a real book?

-J

Learning by ear has a lot of merit. The benefits of a fake book are that musicians learn tunes in same key. It also allows you to look at the chord changes and possible substituted changes that are often listed. It also allows working musicians to play tunes that they are unsure of or not familiar with at all.
    At my last gig I had a request for the tune Bewitched. It is not a tune that I am overly familiar with so I pulled out th fake book to double check.

I have a bunch of real/fake books that I got online in PDF format. They rock. 3 editions of The Real Book in all keys, and about 30 some odd others. What I have done is just copied any tunes I like that I can't find in my books and keep the copies in a folder with my hard copy of the Real Book 6th edition.

HTH
    Bennett Konstans

Bach Strad 37 Bb, 618XXX (11/14/2004)
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445GS, 494XXX (3/21/2009)
    Yamaha 4335GS, 869XXX (6/10/2009)
    GR mpcs, Torpedo Bags, Leather Specialties, and Ultra Pure.
    More soon to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information