Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Is a Bach 3C mouthpiece better than a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece for dental braces??? in the Equipment forums; Before I got braces I was going to upgrade from the rubbish mouthpiece I got with my yamaha trumpet (11B4) ...
    New Friend

Exclamation Is a Bach 3C mouthpiece better than a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece for dental braces???

Before I got braces I was going to upgrade from the rubbish mouthpiece I got with my yamaha trumpet (11B4) to a Bach 3C. Is this still a sensible move?

Re: Is a Bach 3C mouthpiece better than a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece for dental braces???

Players tend to find a slightly larger mouthpiece more comfortable with braces, perhaps because it tends to distribute pressure differently. My advice would be to try it and see how it feels.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave Harrison
    (Dr. Dave)
    www.wedgemouthpiece.com
    Carol Brass 506RS Bb, CTR400CS C, CCR688R cornet, CPC7770YLS picc, CPT300LR pocket trumpet
    Blackburn Bb, C, Eb/D, Bb/A Pic
    Harreslons - 907L
    1946 Martin Committee, 1951 Martin D
    Too many other vintage horns to mention
    Wedge B10.5C-25 Delrin top on 25ML SST backbore
    A VERY understanding wife

Re: Is a Bach 3C mouthpiece better than a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece for dental braces???

Bach 3C has a sharp rim ( 11B4 is not that sharp ) which can be uncomfortable for players with dental braces(same problem for those with crooked teeth) maybe you should try something with a rounded and wide rim ... Bach has a 3CW mouthpiece ( slightly wider rim ) . but don't buy one untill you try it , because technical specs is not enough to guarantee you a good choice .

New Friend

Hey

I had braces on for 7 years. About 2 years after getting my braces on I switched from a 7C (whatever make it was I'm not sure) to a Bach 3C for like 4 years. Then I switched to a Laskey 75MD, but just recently switched back to the Bach 3C. In all honesty the Bach 3C isnt that bad with braces. Just do what you need to do so you get the braces off at a reasonable time (not 7 years). Also I know it's terrible and hurts and they bleed and all that but just power through it. You'll get used to it. Wax wont do anything but change your embouchure even more that the braces already are. The 3C is a great mouthpiece, I'd recommend it in a braces situation. Enjoy.

New Friend

Although you may be anti Yamaha try the Bobby Shew Jazz piece, as far as i know it is a Bach 3c copy with a rounder more comfortable rim. Works well for me at the moment having just changed from a 7c.

Yamaha 8310 Z
    Couesnon Flugel
    Bach Prelude Cornet

New Friend

Ok, so trying to find the perfect mouthpiece for braces can be a lost cause. Playing with braces just sucks, but there are a few things you can do. I'm sure you've tried the wax method which I personally hate. Wax get everywhere and it really doesn't feel all that much better. If you haven't tried this explain your situation to the orthadontist and he should hive you some wax.
    Ok, so thenext solution is what worked for me. Go buy a mothgaurd, like a sports one. Then cut out a strip (about the size of your teeth across your face). Boil up some water and with some tongs boil the strip you cut. When the strip becomes moldable for. It to your braces/teeth. Do the top and bottom teeth seperatley. Make sure they aren't too thick too. Anyways, now you have a nice braces gaurd for your mouth. It worked for me and my friend in high school at least. Hope this helps.

The 11B4 is a decent mouthpiece. Not too big, not too small, full sound, easy to play.

I would not change anything in the beginning. With the braces on, you are hitting a moving target anyway. I think changing mouthpieces is one of the worst things that you can do.

The mouthguard idea sounds good. I'll have some students try it!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information